Chapter 119

"So, let me get this straight. Gauri beta you had mixed bhaang in everybody's laddoos?" asked Dadi, trying to look stern.

Dadi had suspected Rudra of this idea, and to save his skin, Rudra had ratted out his Chulbul bhaabhi. He was looking extremely guilty right now, and throwing apologetic looks to Gauri, who ignored him. 

"Dadi, actually I wanted to patch up Shivaay and Pinky aunty, and I asked Gauri for help. It all really boils down to me" said Annika, in a valiant effort to save her sister.

"Sorry, Dadi, I was just trying to help. It was only meant for Chhoti maaji and Bade bhaiyaa, but accidentally we all ended up eating it" said Gauri, looking shiftily at the floor. 

Jahnvi knew that Dadi was just joking with Gauri and the kids, so she didn't say anything and smirked to herself. 

"Dadi, let it go, you have scared these three enough" said Omkara. "Gauri always comes up with something like this, but her plan worked didn't it?"

Dadi couldn't keep up her serious face anymore. 

Shivaay and Omkara had guessed that she was just playing with Annika, Gauri and Rudra. They all broke out laughing. Annika elbowed Shivaay that he knew it all along and he joined in the joke, while Rudra pouted at how his elder brothers loved watching him get scolded. Gauri looked slightly curiously at Omkaraji, but she didn't say anything. 

It looked like her idea did work, and Bade bhaiyaa and Chhoti Maaji had reconciled their issues. No one scolded her for inebriating the entire family and guests. 

This morning everything looked relatively much better, with everyone looking happy, except well herself and Omkaraji, who still had that one unresolved issue between them. 

Gauri packed her bags and left for her classes She had missed two weeks of Sunday school, and she didn't want to be late for today. 

Omkara sighed. When will the issues between them clear out? He knew the culprit was his own inability to convey what he felt. But how could he convey when he wasn't sure himself? When will he be sure of himself was another matter. 

**************************************************

Rudra received the call on his phone. "Soumya, you won't believe what happened yesterday. I've got such fun gossip to share...."

Soumya cut him off "Rudra, I have some news to share as well. And its not good news, will you come see me at the park?"

Rudra assented. He wondered why Soumya wanted to meet him in the park, and not come home straight. Maybe there was something serious, bothering her. 

"Hey" said Rudra as he reached the bench Soumya was sitting. She looked sad and close to tears. 

"Sumo, what happened?" said Rudra. 

"Rudra, my mother was not well, and since I was leaving for a long time for my Ph.D, she wanted to tell me something.....a secret that she had kept from me, for years" said Soumya anxiously.

"Sumo, relax, take a deep breadth" said Rudra, sitting next to her. "Now tell me, whats wrong? Whats this secret your mother kept from you? Start from the beginning"

"Rudra....my mother loves me a lot. She never differentiated between me and my brother. My brother....he loved me a lot. But yesterday she told me the secret that....I was born in the hospital where she was working as a nurse....somewhere in Bombay. The patient was a lady who was in her late thirties or something, it was a difficult delivery. She seemed to have gone through some trauma recently. She gave birth to a girl, and told my mother, that she already has two daughters, and her husband died recently. Life was going to get really difficult for her. She didn't know whether she would manage to take care of me as well. She requested my mother to put the child up for adoption from the hospital. But my mother took pity on the child and accepted her as her own. That child is me, Rudra....I am not my mother's daughter....I am adopted" Soumya broke down at this.