Chapter 89

Omkara woke up in the morning to find Gauri had already left the room. Yesterday night when he returned to his room, he saw that she had made her bed on his green couch, and was in deep sleep. 

He covered her tiny feet with the blanket, which were poking out again. He remembered the scars. Somehow, with Svetlana's threat and everything, he had forgotten about them. Gauri had evaded his question last time. What was she hiding? Maybe Shivaay was right? He should look at intentions, not actions. And what does he really know about what happened in Bareilly? Was he being too harsh, because......because he couldn't make out what kind of person Gauri really was? Was he angry not at her, but at himself, because of his shortcomings in understanding the real world and the real people in it? 

Omkara fell asleep thinking all this, and woke up a little late next morning. Why? He realized that Gauri's annoying bell had been waking him up early since the last few days, but it seemed like here she preferred to do her prayers downstairs, in the main prayer hall. Was she avoiding him?

Omkara got out of bed and went for a bath. When he went downstairs, he saw Gauri sitting with Dadi and Annika. Gauri saw him coming, looked at him for a few seconds and then looked away. Dadi seemed pleased talking to both her grand-daughters-in-law. 

"Om beta, I'm so happy to have you back home" said Dadi, her eyes moist. 

"Yes, and I'm happy to see you too. I always wondered how you looked like. And you have brought back a pretty wife for yourself" said  a new entrant in the room, who Om recognized as the woman Rudra had told him about, the one who was pretending to be Annika bhaabhi's mother. 

Gauri looked questioningly at Annika, and the latter nodded. Oh, so this was the woman who Annika bhaujai had told her about. It is disgusting that there are people who try to take advantage of someone's misfortune, for their own base interests. This woman was pretending to be Annika bhaujai's mother because bhaujaai married into a rich family, ridiculing years of misery bhaujaai had to face an orphan. Gauri was well aware that this world was a harsh place. She herself had barely escaped its cruelty. 

Omkara paid the woman no notice. He hated liars, and this woman was not only a conwoman, but she had also tried to harm Sahil for money. Shivaay was only keeping her in the house till he found out who sent her and helped her here. Shivaay and his plans! 

Jahnvi and Pinky came there as well, and asked Annika and Gauri to accompany them to Jahnvi's room. Annika and Gauri followed them. Again, Gauri refused to look at Omkara. 

"Annika, Gauri, it is traditional in the roka rasam that the girl wears clothes and jewelry gifted to her by her in-laws. Here, this is for you, Gauri" said Jahnvi, smiling, as she handed Gauri a stunning red outfit and jewelry. 

Gauri smiled and thanked her. 

Jahnvi looked at Pinky, who shrugged, "I just came with you, because you and Mummyji insisted. I have nothing to give to this phatichar bahu ( poor daughter-in-law). She is not worth such expensive clothes and jewelry" said Pinky, looking at Annika and leaving the room.

Annika was hurt but not surprised at Pinky's attitude. Ever since Annika got shot, and Shivaay showed more concern towards her, Pinky's behavior towards her frozen rapidly. 

Jahnvi tried to lighten the awkward atmosphere. "Annika, wait here, I have some clothes and jewelry for you too" she said, smiling. 

Gauri softly patted Annika's shoulder and nodded her head, to show that all will be fine. She showed her solidarity towards Annika, for which the latter were grateful.