Chapter 177

Omkara picked himself up with difficulty. 

He kept staring at the three words for long, I love you. 

He received the love he wanted but his lack of faith, was his downfall. 

When he came out of his senses, he rushed downstairs, only to find that there was no trace of Gauri. She had already left. 

Had she gone back to the mansion? Maybe to meet his mother, once before leaving?

Omkara drove furiously to the mansion, to find it empty. Most probably, his brother and Mr. Oberoi were still at work. The others were not in Mumbai. There was a light in his mother's room though, dare he hope?

But there was no Gauri in her room, only his mother. 

"Om beta, are you fine? You look....devastated" whispered Jahnvi, looking at the lost, forlorn look on her son's face. 

"Maa..." Om whispered, his voice cracking. 

Om hadn't called Jahnvi 'Maa' in years, since he was a child who used to walk holding her hands. It always 'Mom'. It alerted Jahnvi that something had gone drastically wrong.

"Om beta, come here" Jahnvi opened up her arms to her eldest son.

Om knelt down on the floor, and rested his head on his mother's lap, and started pouring out all his grief. 

Between his bewailing and her consolation, Jahnvi finally got the whole picture of all that happened. 

There was silence, until Om felt a drop of water fall on his left cheek. He looked up to find a trail of tear moving down his mother's cheek. 

"Maa....no, please don't cry, because of me" pleaded Om.

"Its not because of you son, its because of me. All that you are suffering today, its all my fault" said Jahnvi.

"No Maa, its not your fault. Its my fault for not trusting her when I needed to" Om lamented.

"I haven't been a good mother, Om. I....I should have sought professional help....when I started getting addicted to alcohol, started neglecting my kids. I am fortunate that Shivaay was there to care for you, send you to rehab....it should have been me, it would have been me, if only I was not selfish, to devolve in my own misery, and not pay attention to bringing up my kids" sighed Jahnvi.

"Maa, you were helpless against all the torture my father was inflicting on you. If someone is to blame, then it is him, and maybe, the suffocating society that compels a woman to stay in an unhealthy marriage" said Om. 

"That might be true son, but I am responsible for more than all of this. I knew about Gauri's tuition, I encouraged her for those, I knew why she went to Delhi. I didn't know that she didn't tell you. But I knew the problems you had faced in life. Gauri does not know your entire truth, your history. She knows half-things heard from you, or others. But I knew everything, I saw everything. And what did I do? Nothing!" exclaimed Jahnvi in anguish. 

"Maa..." Omkara trying to comfort his mother. 

"Ishana manipulating you, Riddhima seeing you as a ladder and joining hands with your father, I knew everything. But did I tell Gauri? No. If only I had, she would have never hidden anything from you. Look at the irony Om, these women, in different capacities abused your trust, took advantage of you, and you were played, and the one woman who was always loyal to you, you ended up misunderstanding her" said Jahnvi.