13 | Chapter Thirteen

Start from the beginning

Iza laughed, pulling a seat out from underneath the table. "I didn't bring her. She came by her own free will." He then slid the book over to Connor, tucking both arms behind his neck while crossing his ankles underneath the table. "I didn't think it was a big deal not bringing her. I mean all this is—"

All of a sudden, Connor clenched his teeth and hissed at Iza, narrowing his eyes at Macey before diverting them elsewhere. It was cute seeing him go through all the effort to hide the facts that she already knew.

"Cut it out, nerd." Macey then pulled out a seat next to him, grinning at his very peeved facial expressions. "I already know you're looking into shadows after Hazel specifically told us not to worry about it."

Connor let out a sigh then slowly groaned. "Fine yes, I'm looking into shadows. Now can you just go—"

Without letting him complete his sentence, Macey grabbed at the book Iza handed him, flicking through the pages rapidly, absorbing what she saw like a sponge to water. She heard a loud groan, then from the corner of her eye saw Connor attempt to swipe at the book. He failed, prompting Macey to hover it above her head.

"Why are you looking into this?" asked Macey, narrowing her eyes at him. "This has no academic gains, nor does it seem like something your pretty little head should be snooping in."

The silence was her answer. He slumped in his chair more. His chin tucked against his chest while his pen tapped at a nearby book. Shaking her head, Macey turned to the brains of this operation, Iza.

She pressed her lips into a straight line and squirmed. "What kinda heartfelt words did this nerd tell you? I want to know what exactly made you want to help him. I mean he's not the most approachable—"

"Because it's the will of a Paladin."

Macey's face faltered, disgusted by his feeble-minded words. The will of a Paladin. What a joke. When she averted her attention toward him, something about his eyes spoke to her. They were fiery, almost noble in a sense she couldn't quite pinpoint. He had his head held high, seeping proudness in the way he sat.

The Paladins that waltz into Macey's life have always been up to themselves, brashly attempting to swoon her with their 'will' a deed of unspeakable accomplishments nobility and leadership. All they ever did to show any means of administration was run their mouths off at the lower masteries, ordering them around like dogs. But for some reason, Connor was different, making her believe that this will isn't just a bunch of lies.

"A Paladin serves to protect the people," said Connor, twiddling his pendant in his fingers. "And if the shadows are a threat to everyone around me, then I must do something about it rather than sit back and let someone else do the work."

Macey shook her head, tossing the book in his direction. "Whatever nerd. But count me in."

Connor gasped at her words and looked like he was about to intervene her plead with a well thought out debate. But Macey didn't have it, silencing him before he spoke by lifting his finger.

"These shadows are a pest," she said, looking him in the eyes with determination. "And just like you, I'm not gonna let them hurt the people around us."

Iza laughed, making Macey remember he was even in their presence. "I'm all for it, the more, the merrier I say. Isn't three brains better than two?"