The Race Back to the Paladins

87

~Keith~

A couple minutes have passed since Athena closed her eyes and rested peacefully. At this point, she should have fallen asleep. Even the wolf fell asleep as Athena leaned her head on my body. He didn't seem to mind at all.

As Athena slept, I watched over her. It was like a repeat when we first landed on Planet Arus and met Princess Allura and Coran. That was all before we ended up being called the Paladins of Voltron. I felt like it was not too long ago since we left that planet when in reality, we've been out here for a long time. Heck, even two years passed since Kolivan sent my mother, Athena, and I out here to gather information.

I sat there thinking to myself, wondering what will happen once everything goes back to normal. After we stop Lotor, we would be able to go home again on earth. The universe would be safe, and we could all go home. I can finally bring mom back to see dad one last time. I'm sure she missed him while she was gone.

The deeper I got into my thoughts, I started to think of the future between Athena and I. She still hasn't shown signs that she sees me more than a friend and it makes me worry that she might never return my feelings for her. Of course, I didn't want to force Athena to like me back - that was wrong in a way that would make it look like I was manipulating her. Everything has its own time, even for Athena's feelings.

I stared at Athena's face, seeing how peacefully she looked as she slept. It seems to be that she was doing better than a few minutes ago. Rest was all Athena really needed, but what made me curious as to why she had to go through all of that.

From a headache to the ringing of the ears and even to the point that her body temperature drops, made me worry about Athena's health. Because this was the second time, I wasn't sure what was the exact cause or what had come in result of it. I wanted to know why Athena had to go through pain like that.

Just as I was thinking this, Athena's body moved, taking my attention back to her. Athena was wincing as she moved in her sleep. Little beads of sweat appeared on Athena's forehead as she gritted her teeth. Immediately, I reached out to her and gently shook her to wake her up. "Athena, what's wrong?"

Athena starts to groan in her sleep. It was as if she was having another nightmare just like before. Athena's mouth opened as if she was trying to say something, but something was holding her back from doing so. "Athena, tell me what's going on."

"Watch out!" Athena screamed as her back was lifted from the ground. She pants even with her eyes closed. It was clear to me that she was dream talking, not being aware of what was going around here except for what was going on in her dream.

"What's going on back there?" My mother calls out from the front of the pod.

"She's having a nightmare," I replied. "Don't worry, I got everything under control. Just keep flying." I reached out for Athena, holding her shoulders and gently pushing her back down.
"It's okay, Athena, just relax."

All of a sudden, Athena's body jolted as if she had been hit right in the gut. Her arms flew to her stomach, covering the area as if she had been stabbed. The pain was written all over Athena's face, much greater than before. Immediately, I took one of her hands and held it tightly. I could feel her hand trembling even when I'm holding her still. What in the world was going on?

Without warning, Athena sat upright gasping for air with her eyes wide open. It startled me for a moment, not expecting for her to wake up so abruptly. Even the space wolf jumped in his spot as soon as Athena sat upright.

"Athena, are you okay?" Athena remains silent as she was catching her breath; she didn't even look at me. I sat by her side, waiting patiently for her answer. Athena definitely had a bad dream, which made me curious to what it was that caused her to act the way that she did.