Prologue

Getting married was never my plan. I don't think anyone ever thought it was. I don't think anyone ever thought I would want kids...or that I would move this quickly. It was like...3 months ago? Yeah...3 months ago that I proposed. Here I am in my tuxedo. I think gay weddings can take a little less time because you don't have to alter an expensive white dress.

Other than that, it's basically any other wedding. Annoying family, annoying coworkers, and...people you love. As if she could read my mind, Christen put her hand on my shoulder. She must've noticed me staring blankly into the mirror.

"Hey...Charlotte's here."

"Well...let her in," I said, a bit too short. I caught myself, but it didn't seem like Christen cared.

"You are cordially invited to the wedding of Nicholaus Lance and Gavin Reed, exactly one month before your own wedding. As if you didn't have enough stress already," Charlotte came in, smirking. It wasn't as if we hadn't already discussed the logistics of the whole thing. Charlotte and Connor's wedding was to be so extremely small (barely 20 people), she didn't mind me having my wedding just a month before. No matter what though, Charlotte felt the need to make fun of me anyway.

"You show up...on my wedding day..." I said shaking my head. "With a wedding gift...how rude."

I gave her a hug and looked at her.

"Could we have a moment, Christen?" Charlotte asked.

Christen shrugged and left the small room, leaving just Charlotte and I. Looking at Charlotte, I knew exactly what she wanted to talk about.

"Everything is moving so fast," I admitted.

"I just wanted to remind you that you don't have to do this," Charlotte sighed. "If everything is moving too fast...slow down."

"It's not," I said quietly. Charlotte knew I hid everything behind jokes...and although I'm still ignoring my emotions, I'm not joking. Didn't seem to fly with her.

"Listen, Nick. I know you want to settle down and create this nice home life but...are you really going to have that with Gavin?"

"Yeah," I said honestly. It's not a lie. I've known Gavin for years. Albeit, our dating relationship has been quite short, I know I can a good life with Gavin. Am I sure there's anyone better? No.

"Well...so long as you're happy, I'm happy," Charlotte said, eyeing me as though she were threatening me.

"What did I do?" I asked, placing my hand in my tuxedo suit. "I know I'm not myself. I'm too anxious for jokes."

"Too anxious for jokes? Are you sure that's just nerves? You're not running a fever?"

"I mean I feel hot but that's more of like an attractiveness thing than a sick thing."

"Too anxious for jokes, he said," Charlotte sassed back.

"Can I do something really gay?" I asked.

"Sure," Charlotte answered simply.

"I just wanted to say...that outfit...it slays," I admitted. No lies either. Charlotte had dressed to the occasion in a perfect blue two-piece short dress, and white pumps. A beautiful pearl necklace combined...and she's absolutely darling.

"You chose it! I'm your maid of honor!"

"Well...yeah...but you added the pearls," I smiled.

"That does not count," She answered sadly. "Anyway, I'm going with Christen. You've got 15 minutes, Nick."

And...she disappeared out the door. I stood in front of the mirror, fixing every small thing about myself. Is that button loose? Is that tie straight? Is that cowlick in place? Is-

My phone. It's ringing.

I dived for it, almost falling over, and answered it quickly.

"Nick Lance."

"Oh, perfect. I'm calling from Detroit Children's Services. We received your application, and I'm happy to tell you that it's being processed."

"You're happy to tell me it's being processed? Well...how long?"

"How long until...?"

"It's approved. How long until it's approved?"

"Oh, about 1-6 months," She sighed casually.

"1-6 months? You guys have all those android kids and there's no priority or anything?"

"No, sir. We have to verify a variety of things to make sure that you're eligible to receive a child."

"But...like I'm a cop," I answered.

"There are plenty of bad cops, Mr. Lance," She explained bitterly. Quickly, I realized that my best option was to not be mean to the woman organizing my adoption. "But we did have another question for you. You marked on here that you have a partner...Mr. Gavin Reed? And when's your wedding date?"

"Today, actually. In about..." I mumbled, checking my watch. "12 minutes."

"OH! Well! Congratulations! I should leave you to it!"

"Well, thank you, and thank you for calling. Oh, wait. I'm sorry...did I mark on there any age...and any disability?"

"Yes. However...it looks like Mr. Reed marked on his portion of the application that he would prefer younger children. We make an effort to satisfy both parents, and with your current monetary status and age, we will probably pair you with a calm human infant."

"Oh...but I would really love any kid-"

"It's just policy."

Policy...policy I guess. "That's fine," I said, partially just trying to please her. Like I said, she determines whether I have a kid.

"Have a great day, Mr. Lance. I hope you wedding is absolutely wonderful."

"Thank you, m'am."

I hung up the phone, checked myself once in the mirror and left out to walk down the aisle.