An Offer I Received

Okay, Okay. So this is just a shortish rant on what just happened and I feel like you guys should know about it. I know some of you are readers and some are writers so you have a right to know about this. 

Starting off, occasionally, I would receive messages on Wattpad of certain editors who would like to display my book(s). Normally, I would ignore them because I wasn't sure but this time, around midnight January 17, 2019, I received a message from someone names Viktor who claims they are an editor from Dreame

Doing a little research on Dreame, I saw it was something like Wattpad but more of a paid-to-read type of thing. Reading through the message, I was offered to email them if I were interested. I emailed them to which they sent me more information along with two 5-year contracts/programs (I would have to choose one).

Program A was exclusive along with profits. There's a lot to discuss but I'll try to be brief. I could leave my story up on Wattpad but only about 5 chapters and have a page with a link to Dreame as to where the rest of the book would be. According to them, stories that have good performance would be put in the "Pay-to-read" program. Authors would received a "30% share of the profits gained by the Work once the profits exceed the whole cost paid by Dreame, including without limitation the royalty paid to Author, marketing fee and other costs charged by any third parties." In other words, bullshit. 

It took me literally years to write (still not good at writing) but I feel like I deserve more than just 30%. Not only that but they're so many things that can go wrong with this. They could end up taking my work and ideas over time to where I no longer have ownership over it. How could they even guarantee that I'll get paid or people will read my work on their site? I also don't think it's fair to you guys. You've all supported me for such a long time. Some of you have even supported me since the day I released the first chapter of my first book. It wouldn't be fair. 

The second program is almost the same but it's non-exclusive with profits. Instead of 30%, I would receive 20%. I could keep my work up but I don't think 20% is enough. Furthermore, they offered advance money. 

Under exclusive program:

Saved By The Devil = Offer is $150
Return Of The Devil = Offer is $100  Crowned by the Devil = Offer is $50

Under non-exclusive program:

Saved By The Devil = Offer is $40                  Return Of The Devil = Offer is $30                  Crowned by the Devil = Offer is $20  

Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah. Then they showed me how the payment is calculated and whatnot. 

Overall I DECLINED the offer for multiple reasons.

1) It wasn't far to you as my reader to take down all books and leave up some chapters then make you pay for it on the other side. I mostly write for fun and for you guys.

2) There was no formal way of meeting and despite reading everything they sent, they literally knew nothing about me. Just off my book. They didn't even ask for my name or anything else. It was just me asking for more information to which they sent contracts. 

3) I deserve much more than 30%. Being offered 30% makes me feel like my book is a pile of shit which it is not. I still have yet to revise and edit it for all the grammar mistakes. 

4) Everything I read just makes me feel like, over the 5 years of the contract, they would take credit for my work which I never want to happen. Nothing about this seems fair to me. I understand that some fees need to be paid but again, still doesn't seem fair to me. 

I'm not saying don't trust Dreame or hate them. I'm just simply telling you how I feel along with my encounter with them. I hope that one day I could actually get my books published along with keeping it on Wattpad. I strive for the day I could have it sold in stores. I will continue writing as I always have planned. 

Thank you for all the love and support ya'll have shown me. Love you all and see you soon.

P.S. Chapters are being released later tonight.