Family Dinner

Sophia checked the time. "Shit, I need to go home for dinner. Sweet Pea's probably being grilled by my parents already."

"Sweet Pea's round for dinner, is he?" Toni asked. "That's... exciting."

"If that's how you want to put it." Sophia chuckled. "I'll see you guys tomorrow."

"Don't let that tall hunk of sugar distract you, Soph. Learn the songs." Josie said.

Sophia nodded and waved over her shoulder, running out to the front of school.

"Hey, Soph!" Chuck stopped her in her tracks.

"Chuck, hey. What are you doing here?" She asked.

"I just finished a project. Want a ride home?" He asked.

"You lifesaver! Yes, please." Sophia said.

"Come on." Chuck led her to his car, opening the door for her. She thanked him and got in, and he drove her home. "There we are."

"Thanks again, Chuck. See you tomorrow." Sophia leaned over and hugged him.

"Laters, Soph. Be good." Chuck said.

Sophia let herself into the house. "Hi, sorry. I was practicing with the girls."

"No worries, Sophia. We were just talking to Sweet Pea and Tom." William said.

"Didn't doubt that for a second." Sophia said sarcastically.

"Come sit down, it's toad in the hole, your favourite." Trisha said.

Sophia went to her seat next to Sweet Pea, leaning over to kiss him on the cheek as a greeting. The dinner was served up, and everyone ate in a comfortable silence, a few different conversations happening here and there.

"So, what did you talk about while I was gone?" Sophia asked.

"Well, mum pretty much asked about every single thing you and Sweet Pea have ever said to each other because she wanted to know the ins and outs of a duck's arse, as usual." Tom said. "But mostly just school."

"What were you out for tonight, anyway?" Will asked.

"Just something for Josie." Sophia shrugged.

Tom's interest perked at the mention of her name.

"What kind of thing?" Sweet Pea asked.

"Just a thing she needs us for." Sophia said.

"She's not in any trouble is she?" Tom asked.

"No, of course not." Sophia said.

"You seem to care an awful lot." Sweet Pea smirked. "You got a thing for Josie McCoy?"

"No, course not. She's-" Tom started.

Sophia interrupted him. "Smart, fun, talented and absolutely gorgeous? You're right. Wouldn't go for someone like you, anyway."

"Sophia, don't be mean to your brother." Patricia said.

"Relax, I'm only messing." Sophia said.

"Josie... She was one of the girls who were round when you did movie night?" William asked.

"Yeah. Her mum used to be mayor. She's a singer." Sweet Pea said.

"Here." Sophia showed her parents a photo, pointing Josie out.

"She is gorgeous, you're right there, Sophia." Trisha said.

"Yeah, well. Whatever. I don't like her." Tom mumbled.

After dinner, Sophia sat listening to and learning the songs while watching Sweet Pea and Tom play some video games. William and Trisha popped their head into the garage a few hours later.

"We're heading to bed." William said.

"Don't be too long, school tomorrow." Trisha said. Tom checked the time.

"Oh, it's already half nine. One more game?" He asked.

"Yeah, sure why not." Sweet Pea said.

They played another game before the three of them went to bed.

"Night, guys." Tom went into his room. Sophia and Sweet Pea said goodnight.

"It's so cool of your parents to let me stay." Sweet Pea said.

"They like you, Pea." Sophia smiled. "Come on, let's go to bed."

They laid down together, Sweet Pea running his fingers through Sophia's hair.

"So, are you really not going to tell me what you guys are practicing for?" He asked.

"It's a surprise." Sophia replied. "But it's very fun."

"Mm, okay." Sweet Pea said.

"Josie likes Tom." Sophia told him.

"Oh yeah?" He asked.

"Yeah," she said. "Apparently he's nice and hot and lovely."

"Oh, really?"

"I thought it was gross too."

Sweet Pea laughed. "She's nice though. I'm sure you'd rather her than someone else."

"Of course." Sophia said. "I absolutely adore Josie."

"Exactly, so if they do end up together, it's a good thing." Sweet Pea said.

"I'm not saying it wouldn't be its just-"

"You've never had to protect him from a girl before?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"Only because I know you. And I know how much you try to look after him."

Sophia sighed and nuzzled her face into the side of his neck. "I have to let him go, don't I?"

"I'm afraid so." Sweet Pea nodded, stroking her back.

"Ugh, it's so hard though."

"I know it is. But he'll always come back to you, Soph. He knows that you're there for him and that if anything was ever to happen you would be the one to go to."

"You think so?"

"I know it. He's told us before. He loves you to pieces, Sophia. You're the number one person in his life and you always will be."

"Thanks, Sweet Pea. You always manage to sort me out and cheer me up."

"I'm glad I get to be that person for you, Soph." Sweet Pea kissed her once more before they settled down to sleep.