Renovations

"Hey, Mr Andrews." Sophia said, walking into his office.

"Ah, Sophia, to what do I owe the pleasure?" He asked. "And it's Fred, I told you."

"Sorry." Sophia said, sitting down. "But actually, this isn't a pleasure call. It's one of business."

She walked him through her idea for the land at Thornhill, Fred nodding along.

"So, we should have trailers ready to move in a couple weeks. We just need you to move the left over debris from the fire, and I thought you could also build a pool house around the pool on the property, it gives people a place to hang out. This should cover the costs." Sophia handed him a cheque.

"It would and then some. It won't cost this much, Sophia." Fred said.

"Then think of what's over as gratuity. And maybe a boost to get it done as quickly as possible," she said.

"We'll start tomorrow." Fred said.

"Really? Oh my God, thank you, Fred!" Sophia got up and went round his desk to hug him.

"Of course, Sophia. I think this is a wonderful thing that you're doing for the serpents. Do any of them know?" He asked.

"Just Sweet Pea. I want to surprise everyone else," she said.

"Well, that's great. I'll get some people in to start with the debris tomorrow and then we'll work on that pool house too. If you need any help with the movement of trailers, let me know." Fred said.

"Thank you so much, Fred. I'll see you soon then." Sophia stood up and shook his hand.

Over the next week or so, Sophia spent a lot of her time after school at the Thornhill land, observing Fred's crew as they cleared away all the debris from the fire. She went over to where he was directing some people on what to do.

"Fred, I've had news from the trailer salesman. They're able to deliver them on Monday. So the only trailer we would need moved by you would be the Joneses." Sophia said. "That's if they want us to. I can just get another one and they can have a new one."

"Have you spoke to FP about it?" Fred asked her.

"Not yet. I was going to go do it this evening, actually." Sophia said. "Any tips?"

"Just tell him the truth. He may be slightly hostile because FP doesn't like receiving what he would deem as help or charity, but I'm sure you can charm your way around him." Fred said.

"I'll do my best. See you later," she said.

"Bye Sophia." Fred waved as she left.

She made the walk down to the south side, knocking on the door of the trailer when she got there.

"Hi, Sophia. Jughead's not here right now." FP said.

"I know, Mr Jones. Can I come in?" She asked.

"Sure. And please, you're a fellow serpent. Just call me FP," he said. He showed her into the lounge and gestured for her to sit down.

"So, I came to see you FP." Sophia said.

"I figured that. Would you like a drink? A root beer or anything?" He asked.

"Yeah, sure," she smiled.

"So what's the reason for this visit?" FP asked handing her a bottle.

"Well, recently I was thinking a lot about the Serpents. Currently the majority of them are living in tents. That's not a long term solution."

"I know. And we're working on it."

"I have worked on it. I purchased the land that Thornhill stood on and Fred Andrews and his crew are currently getting rid of the leftover debris. The new trailers for everyone will be delivered on Monday, and will all be set out the same way they were at Sunnyside."

"You're turning Thornhill into a trailer park?"

"Essentially, yes. So what I wanted to ask you is would you like us to get this trailer moved or would you like to just move into one of the new ones?"

"Slow down, Sophia. How are you getting these trailers? And how did you purchase Thornhill?"

"Turns out Penelope Blossom is in more shit than she lets on. It was a fair exchange of some money and also a house on the north side where she and Claudius can live. And as with everything on this project, my family and I are paying for the trailers."

"Well, it may be a nice thought but we don't need your charity, Sophia."

"It's not charity. It's helping my own."

"Have you told Jughead?" FP asked.

Sophia shook her head. "Other than you, the only serpents who know are obviously Tommy, and also Sweet Pea."

"Sweet Pea, huh? Are you two close?"

"We are close. We're great friends."

"Just friends?"

"Yes just friends. But back to the subject at hand. Would you prefer this trailer, or a new one?"

"Well, I love this old thing. Maybe you could do me a favour?"

"What would that be?"

"Take my one over. But if it's plausible, maybe give Jughead one of his own? I think he'd appreciate that."

"Of course. I was considering that anyway, and for Sweets, Toni and Fangs."

"You're a good girl, Sophia, you really are." FP said. "Thank you for doing all this."

"What else would I do?" She asked with a smile. "I better get home."

"Stay here a minute. I'll get someone to drive you." FP said.

"It's fine-"

"Sophia. Stay here."

"Fine."

FP made a call in his bedroom, and the two of them made small talk until someone knocked at the door.

"Hi, FP."

"Sweet Pea, come in." FP said.

"Hey, Soph." Sweet Pea said.

"Hey, Sweets," she smiled.

"You ready to go?" He asked.

"Yeah, bye FP," she hugged him. "I see what you're trying to do and it's not going to work," she whispered.

"See you later Soph, bye Sweet Pea." FP winked.

Sophia and Sweet Pea jumped onto his bike, and Sophia wrapped her arms around his waist.

"Wanna stop by Pop's and grab a burger?" He asked.

"Can I rain check? I have a lot to sort out," she said.

"Sure. How about tomorrow? For breakfast?"

"That sounds good."

Sweet Pea started the engine and drove off, dropping Sophia at home.