Confessions

At the breakfast table the next morning, William and Trisha had more news for Sophia and Tom.

"Sophia, it wasn't just the accident that we've been keeping from you." Patricia said.

"Oh, God." Sophia said. "Okay. What is it?"

"We were the family who helped you and Sweet Pea out of the river." William said.

"I don't follow." Sophia said, she and Tom both looked as surprised as each other.

"When the accident happened, you weren't living with us in Greendale. You lived on the south side of Riverdale. You were in foster care. After that happened, we took you in, we adopted you. Sweet Pea came to see you and we told him. We said if he wanted to get in touch, your surname would be Putnam and he could contact you. I guess things got in the way-" Trisha explained.

"In the way?! We were five! How was a five year old meant to contact me? Did you give him or his parents an address? A phone number?!" Sophia asked.

"Truth be told, no." Trisha admitted. "We didn't know what they would be. We had to get new mobiles there and hadn't found the house yet. We just wanted an easy life for you."

"No offence, mum, but that didn't work out, did it?" Tom said. "She joined a gang. She got into trouble. And now you're telling us she's adopted?"

"Son, please-" William started.

"No. That's not fair." Tom shook his head.

"Tommy, stop it." Sophia put her hand on his arm. "It's fine. I get it, I guess. But we have to go to school."

"Sophia-" Trisha started.

"I'm fine, mum. I am. I just want to go to school." Sophia said.

"Alright. Come on then." Tom got up and they left the house, walking to school together. "Soph, I'm so sorry. I had no idea."

"It's not your fault, Tommy. And it's okay. Sure, finding out about it after all this time wasn't exactly ideal, but at the end of the day, you're my family. You're my brother and I love you." Sophia hugged him.

"I love you too, Soph," he sighed. "I just wish you really were my sister."

"As long as you think I am, I am," she said.

"Good morning, Putnams." Archie said as they walked into the chill room at school.

"Morning." Tom replied, sitting down and putting in his headphones.

"Are you guys okay?" Veronica asked.

"It's been an eventful time at home to say the least." Sophia said.

"The accident situation?" Betty asked.

"Yes. We talked about it. And some other news came from it. I just- I need to talk to Sweet Pea. Do you know where he is?" Sophia asked.

"He won't be here yet." Jughead said.

"Well, can I speak to you? In private?" She asked.

Jughead and Betty exchanged a look.

"Sure. Let's go," he said.

"What's that about?" Cheryl asked.

"Probably me." Tom answered. "I said I was thinking of asking around about joining the Serpents. I've seen them all about. Back in England, I wanted to join the gang Soph was in but I wasn't allowed. I know now that it was because my parents were telling her not to let me, and from the conversation I heard the other night, Sophia did things to make sure I wasn't able to join. But it's gonna be different here. I want to be able to protect her this time. Especially after our family revelations. The accident, her adoption-"

"Adoption?" Betty and Veronica asked.

"So." Jughead stood against the teachers desk, in front of Sophia who was sat on another desk. "What can I do for you?"

"I'm from the south side Jughead." Sophia told him. "My parents - the Putnams - they adopted me after the accident. I was in foster care, lived on the south side according to them. I had no idea about it."

"Oh shit, Sophia, I'm sorry." Jughead said. "So, what can I do?"

"I want to join the Serpents."

"What?"

"I want to join the Serpents. Well, first of all Tom wanted to. But there is no way I'll let him join unless I was part of it first."

"I understand that."

"So, I'd like to join. You know I've had a past in gang activity. I can do it. Whatever the initiation is, I've got it. But I want to discuss his initiation."

"The initiations-"

"I know the ways in for girls and boys are always different, Jughead." Sophia said. "My last gang I had to have sex and a male friend of mine had to make a blood pact. I know it's different. So, what's yours?"

Jughead sighed. "The girls has always been learning the laws and doing the serpent dance. The guys is a lot different. Mine was learning the laws, putting my hand in a snake pit and getting beaten up. But it's me now, I'm in charge. And everything is different to how it used to be. I'll talk to some of the guys and see what we can do. But in terms of you, we'll have to sort out something. The serpent dance is tradition but we have nowhere for it. Unless... I'll let you know what we're going to do. Okay?"

"Okay, Jughead. I'll wait for you to sort whatever you need to." Sophia said. "Just let me know."

"Of course. Now. Shall we go?" He got up and gestured for her to go first.

"Sure. And thanks, Jughead. I know you don't have to do this. But I appreciate it. I really do." Sophia smiled.

Tom had explained to the others what happened with their parents. From talking about the accident, to the fact that Sophia was adopted by them, and that they were the family who had helped her and Sweet Pea out of the river. Jughead and Sophia walked back in, just as the bell rang.

"Off to class then." Tom said, and they all left in their own directions.