Chapter 47

Maya springs out of the bed and locks herself in the bathroom connected to Josh's room. There is no way she plans on leaving the safety of that bathroom. She makes herself comfy in the bathtub and plans on falling asleep there tonight, but hears voices on the other side of the door. She immediately gets out of the tub and presses one of her ears against the door in order to listen to the conversation on the other side.

  Josh says, "I just don't know what to do about Maya. I love her. I didn't think I could ever love a girl like I do her. At least not before I graduated college and got a career."

  "Life has a tendency to switch our ideas around on us," Carla says.

  Maya hears the hesitation in Josh's response. "Carla, I need your advice. Do you think I should stay broken up with Maya or try to make things work with her even though she doesn't want to talk with her mom?"

  "I think you should stay broken up with Maya."

  The room gets quiet and Maya can't take that. She cracks the bathroom door open to see Carla and Josh making out with each other. Eventually, Carla pulls him onto the bed without breaking contact from his lips.

  At this point, Maya stands in front of the bed watching the two of them kiss each other passionately. Josh doesn't even seem to care about the fact that she's in the room and that he seems to have gotten completely over her instantaneously.

  She decides to make a bold move and shoves Carla off of Josh and onto the floor. Carla squeals after hitting the floor, and Maya crawls onto the bed beside Josh. She yells, "How could you just kiss Carla like that?! It hasn't even been a full 12 hours since we broke up! Did you even really love me?!"

  He doesn't respond with words, but leans towards her appearing to want a kiss from her. Right as she thinks she's going to get one, he says, "You're awake."

  Maya looks around the room and notices the sunlight peeking through the window and how she's lying on the bed instead of sitting. The relieving part of the situation is the fact that Carla is not in the room.

  She stares right at Josh and does what was supposed to happen in her dream. She plants a kiss right on his lips, but he doesn't kiss her back. This causes her to back out of the kiss. She asks, "Why aren't you kissing me back?"

  He grins, "Why would I kiss a girl I'm not in a relationship with?"

  She can't handle him picking on her and slaps his barely smitten face.

  He grimaces from the pain and rubs his cheek. "What was that for?"

  "I don't want to be picked on right now. All I want is for you to kiss me. Please."

  He sighs, "I know I was grinning when I said it, but I meant what I said. I can't kiss you if we're not actually going to see our relationship through. Will you promise me you'll talk with your mom within the next month?"

  Annoyed at hearing the suggestion of talking with her mother again but intrigued that Josh allowed her to have at least a month before she had to do it, Maya couldn't help but wrap her arms around him in a hug. 

  He returned the sentiment. "What's this for?"

  "You care about me. You're giving me a month before I have to speak to my mother. I love you, Josh. You are the best boyfriend I could ever ask for or want." She squeezes tighter to him.

  He pats her back slowly. "Did you say boyfriend?"

  She continues to keep her face covered behind one of his shoulders. She's hoping that he'll be the one to agree the two of them aren't actually broken up.

  "Well, I guess that would mean I'd have to call you girlfriend."

  Smiling, she moves her head to where she can see his face and kisses his cheek.

  He shakes his head. "That just won't do."

  With one of his hands, he caresses her cheek, and the other hand holds the back of her neck while firmly kissing her lips. She kisses him right back, and the two of them stay in that moment for the next few minutes.

  After having fallen onto the bed while still kissing, the two of them break away from each other's faces and gaze into the other's eyes. Josh tucks a strand of Maya's hair behind her ear and smiles warmly at her. She returns the same smile, going back and forth from looking into his eyes to looking at his lips.

  He says, "What's your plan?"

  Maya's smile fades and turns into confusion. "What plan?"

  Her confusion only makes Josh confused. "Are you just going on a whim?"

  "With what?" At this point, Maya sits up and turns to face him.

  Josh follows suit and sits facing Maya. "With life. What's your game plan?"

  Tucking her hands in between her thighs, Maya thinks for a few seconds. "Well, I go to school when I can manage it and I hang out with you. What else is there to plan?"

  He places a hand on her knee. "There's so much more than that. You left out God."

  She almost wants to cry at hearing Josh mention God. "Why does everyone assume that God must be included in my life?"

  "Because you gave your life to him, or at least you made it seem that way."

  "Let's just forget about it. What more is there to plan?"

  Josh pauses, appearing to ponder why Maya would just skip over God, but he manages to move onto another subject. "What about Riley?"

  "What about her?" Maya says coldly.

  "She's your best friend. Where does she fit into your plan?"

  She peers down at her hands in between her thighs. "We're not on good terms right now."

  "But you will be eventually. You always are."

  "We'll see."

  "Maya." Josh lifts Maya's chin in order to get her to look into his eyes. "You always are."

  Biting her lip, she repeats her last phrase in just above a whisper: "We'll see."