Chapter 61

"I can't believe your parents made me start working for them." Maya stands by the coffee table in Topanga's and uses a rag to wipe down the table. 

  Riley walks over to Maya from behind the main counter. "The point wasn't that you're working for them, Maya. The point is you having a job. You could apply for a different job  if you want."

  Maya looks her best friend directly in the eyes and rolls her eyes at her. She walks over to another table and starts wiping down that one.

  Riley follows Maya. "Are you wanting to go to college, Maya? You've never mentioned it before."

  Maya stops wiping the table and puts a hand on her hip. "Can you really see me wanting to put myself through more school?"

  "I mean, not necessarily," Riley says slowly. "But what do you want to do when you graduate, Maya?"

  "Live with Josh."

  "Okay, but what would you be doing?"

  "You really want to know that?" Maya grins.

  Concerned, Riley says, "Uhh, yes."

  "Let's just say lots of making out and sex."

  Riley shakes her head and walks back to behind the counter, and Maya follows her, placing the rag on the sink behind the counter. 

  "You asked, Riley."

  "Maya, you know what I was meaning."

  "Yeah, and I told you what I would be doing."

  "Are you planning on Josh being the sole provider for you two?"

  Maya appears confused. "What do you mean the sole provider?"

  Groaning, Riley says, "Paying the bills."

  "Oh!" Maya catches on right away. "Of course! He's the one about to graduate from college, and I would be just stepping out of high school. Obviously he would be the one to pay for us."

  "Have you talked to Josh about that?"

  Maya is very confused. Why does she need to talk with Josh about something that is common sense? Josh wants to get married and live together after they both graduate school. Josh is the one with a degree for work. It makes sense that Josh would be working and paying the bills, and Maya could be a housewife or whatever. 

  "There is no need to talk with him about it," Maya states blatantly. "It's just a given."

  Riley sighs, "I would just talk to him about it, okay, Maya?"

  Riley heads to the front door of Topanga's and looks at Maya. "Are you coming? I need to close up the bakery."

  Not knowing what to say, Maya just walks out of Topanga's and lets Riley lock the backery doors. Maya waits for Riley to finish before walking, but Riley walks passed Maya and up the stairs, appearing not to want to talk with Maya.

  Maya continues to stand in front of the Topanga's door and does not know what to do. She doesn't understand why Riley was so adamant about her talking with Josh about her not planning on working when they're together. She thinks that it's common sense for her not to work.

  She decides to take out her phone and dials Josh's number.

  He answers on the first ring, "Hey, beautiful! I'm assuming you just got off of your first shift."

  "Yeah, but that's not why I'm calling."

  "Oh?"

  "I was wondering if I'd be able to spend the night with you tonight."

  "I thought you could only do that on weekends. Today's Monday."

  "I know, but I really don't want to spend the night with Riley tonight. Please let me to stay with you tonight."

  Josh sighs, "Maya, that's not up to me. I'll let you stay if Cory and Topanga are okay with it."

  "They are!" She immediately exclaims. 

  Josh's tone turns stern. "Maya, are you just saying that?"

  Maya doesn't want to lie to him, but she's also not for certain that the Matthews will let her stay with Josh tonight. Begrudgingly, she mumbles, "Fine. I'll call you back when I ask them."

  "Thank you, Maya," Josh says without much emotion. "I do love you, Maya; I just always want you to be honest with me. I know you still don't like staying with Riley and that you'd prefer to stay with me, but it's only until we graduate."

  In only a whisper, Maya says, "I know."

  "I love you."

  "Love you too."

~~~~

  "Why frickin' not?!?" Maya screams at the Matthews.

  She stands in the living room of their apartment while the parents stand in front of her trying to calm her down. Riley sits at the kitchen table, doing homework on her laptop and peering at Maya for her loudness. 

  "Maya," Mrs. Matthews says sternly. "We're not even considering you spending the night at Josh's in the future if you're going to have outbursts like this. Now sit down, and we'll explain to you why we're not allowing you, too."

  Not wanting to but not having another choice, Maya sighs and sits on the couch, followed by the Matthews parents. 

  Mrs. Matthews places a hand on Maya's knee, and Maya stares down at it. She wants to remove it from her knee, but she decides that will probably make the matter worse for her. 

  Mrs. Matthews says, "Maya, we want you to be happy,  and we know that Josh is a safe place for you. We are very glad about that. However, your grades have not been the greatest."

  "What do you mean? I have all C's."

  Mr. Matthews states bluntly, "Yeah, that's not good."

  "But it's passing."

  "Yes," Mrs. Matthews says, "But we're trying to look out for your future. If you're planning on going to college--"

  Ugh! She is so tired of people bringing up college. Why do they assume she wants to go to college? She plans on getting married to Josh; don't they know that?

  She stands up from the couch and begins stomping out of the room towards Riley's bedroom. As she's leaving the room, she shouts, "Stop forcing me to go to college! I'm not going!" She slams the bedroom door shut and locks it.

  Once she's safely inside, she goes to sit at the bay window, pulls both of her knees up to her chest, and starts rocking to help soothe the anger and hurt she's experiencing.