Chapter 40

"So, there it is." Josh tucks a strand of Maya's hair behind her ear and plants a gentle kiss on her cheek. "You mean so much to me, Maya. I honestly don't know what I would do if you hadn't believed me out in the hallway."

  A small smile spreads on Maya's face as her eyes fill with tears. "You would've been able to live without me."

  "You're right." He peers down at the mattress for a brief moment. "But I wouldn't want to."

  The tears spill from her eyes, and she can't help but wrap her arms around Josh. He returns the sentiment and strokes her hair, whispering the words "God gave me you, Maya."

  She backs out of the hug and stares directly into those soft eyes: "You are the best thing to ever happen to me; you know that, right?"

  Smiling, he nods. He leans towards her and presses his lips against hers. She can't help but let everything else wrong in her world fade away. She allows one of her hands to rest against Josh's chest, and he caresses one of her cheeks.

~~~~~

  "Wow, I adore you and Josh's relationship. It's so sweet and it's so strong. I want a relationship like that. And especially with the fact that you two are four years apart in age. It's amazing, peaches!"

  The two besties walk side by side to their next class, but stop before entering the classroom. They notice a guy making out with a very pretty girl they had never spoken to before. Maya wants to just keep walking, but realizes how frozen Riley is next to the lockers. She gives Riley a nudge, "Are you okay, Riles?"

  The only response Riley gives is biting her bottom lip with tear-filled eyes. Maya wraps an arm around her friend's shoulders and guides her into the classroom. Once the two of them are seated at their desks, Maya leaves a hand on Riley's knee and peers deep into her eyes: "Riles, answer me. Are you okay? What's going on?"

  Riley stares down at her shoes, "We're in class. I can't talk about it right now."

  "Bay window later?"

  "Sure."

  Taking her hand off of Riley's leg, Maya sits up straight in her seat and prepares her mind for the lecture they're about to get.

~~~~~

  At the bay window later that same day, Maya waits patiently for her best friend to open up about what happened emotionally for her in the hallway.

  Riley takes a deep breath and almost says something, but instead, tears spill from her eyes; she buries her face into Maya's chest and sobs. Maya strokes her friend's hair while rubbing the small of her back, saying, "Riles, you're my best friend. You can trust me with anything. I won't tell another soul, not even Josh. I just want to know what's going on with you."

  With her face still buried in Maya's chest, she mumbles, "You know who that guy was, right?"

  Maya tries recall the face of the guy in the hallway making out with the girl, but no recollection comes to mind. She shakes her head, "Sorry, girly. I don't think I know him."

  "Well, I thought we were going to be boyfriend and girlfriend at some point, but I guess he wasn't thinking the same thing." She sobs harder into Maya's chest, and Maya keeps on stroking her friend's hair.

  "Hey, Riles, everything's going to be okay. I know how heartbreak feels. It's not fun. And believe me, I know how it is being on the other side as well, being the bad guy. Neither side is better than the other. If he truly wants to be with you, then he'll realize his mistake in kissing that girl. And if he doesn't, then screw him. You have an awesome best friend, and you're an amazing girl. Any guy would be lucky to have you. Don't settle for someone that only cares about the little things like kissing and sex."

  Riley's breathing slows down, and she lifts her head in order to look Maya in the eyes. "Thanks, Maya. Josh is so lucky to have you. I don't know how he got so lucky to have a girl like you. You are so badass."

  Maya immediately scolds her on the language she used, "Riley! That's something I would say, but not you. You're supposed to be the goody Christian girl, not the other way around."

  "But I couldn't think of another word. And it's true. You are pretty badass, and I think Josh would agree." Riley grins even with her tear-stained eyes.

  Maya can feel herself blushing, especially at what occurred between Josh and her last night. She presses her cold hands against both of her cheeks and feels the relief. She teases Riley, "Riles, why do you have to say things like that? It makes my face turn red."

  Riley grins even wider, "What? You don't like to blush, Maya?"

  "Not in particular. It makes me feel like one of those soft and feminine girls."

  "But you are exactly that."

  "I mean, you're not wrong. But I don't like the blushing aspect that comes with it."

  "It's part of being a girl, peaches."

  "Is that why you call me peaches? Because I blush sometimes."

  "No, but it does fit. I call you peaches because you're as sweet as a peach."

  Maya can feel her face turning red again, and she gives Riley a fake stern look. "Riles! You did it again."

  Riley only chuckles slightly and bumps Maya's shoulder playfully; Maya returns the sentiment. She loves her best friend, and she wouldn't trade her for anyone else.

  Just when Maya thinks everything is all good between her relationship with Riley, Riley lands a hand on Maya's hand resting on the window seat. Maya's expression turns serious as she waits for whatever Riley's about to lay on her.

  Riley closes her eyes before saying, "I don't know how to just forget about him, Maya."

  At that point, Maya realizes that she can't fix her friend's issue by just a few phrases of encouragement; this situation is going to take some divine intervention.