Chapter 21

What she sees is inexplicable. Every which direction is a supernatural light; there's nothing else that light could be except for God himself. There is absolutely no doubt in her mind that she is meeting this God that her wonderful boyfriend consistently talks about. She begins to feel the compulsion of telling him how sorry she is for ever doubting his existence in the first place. That lasts her for quite a while before she comes to the realization that she needs this kind of experience with the God of the universe every single day of her life. She asks him to come into her life and remain there for however long she can have him with her. She hopes that means he will stay with her for eternity. She never wants him to leave, she never wants to forget this moment, she always wants to have this connection with God. Nothing else matters to Maya right now. She asks him if she has to return to what other people view as reality. She can hear his whisper saying that she must return until it is his time to take his people up to heaven. She dislikes his answer, but she won't argue with an almighty God.

  As Maya opens her eyes, the light slowly fades away but the presence of the Lord remains in her bedroom and within her spirit. Not even knowing how she could possibly know the lyrics, she softly sings a worship song in surrender to God and declaring her newfound devotion to him.

  After Maya has had some personal time with the Lord and feels comfortable to the one she belongs to now, she goes over to the door and reaches her hand for the doorknob but then stops herself. She's not as convinced as she just was about telling her mother about the experience she had with God. From what her mother had said that morning, it doesn't sound like she'd be able to comprehend what on earth Maya would be talking about. She decides that it may be better to talk with Josh about the experience before her mother.

  She checks the time on her phone and sees that it's four in the afternoon. It seems to be a good time as any to call her boyfriend.

  Josh answers on the second ring. "How's my girl?"

  "Josh!" Maya can only exclaim his name with delight in that moment. Words are things she doesn't even know how to express right now.

  "Wow, Maya, you sound really happy! Can I know the reason? I have absolutely nothing against it; I love it. I just want to know what has made my girl so extremely happy."

  "Josh!" Maya repeats with the same exact tone and excitement.

  "Wow, you're so happy that you can't even tell me the reason. Why do I get the feeling that this kind of happiness is true joy coming from God himself?"

  At last, Maya is able to express her emotions with words once again. "Because that's exactly what this is! This is true joy coming from God himself! Josh! I met God! I had an experience with him! He's with me now! He resides with me! I asked him to stay." After calming her excitement down a little bit, she realizes that has one specific question for what happened with her encounter with God. "Josh, I just have one question. I asked God to stay with me. Will he ever leave?"

  Josh shuts down that possibility right off the bat. "Not in a million years. Once you ask God to come into your life, he will never leave you. You may not always feel his presence, but that doesn't mean he has forsaken you. It just means he wants to see how you do without him holding your hand. Does this make sense to you?"

  Maya thinks about it for a second, but she doesn't have to think for too long. She doesn't know how it makes sense; it just does. That must be God working through her in order for her to comprehend what Josh is saying. "I'm not sure how, but I completely get what you're saying. I can't wait to have more and more experiences with the God of all."

  "It makes me so incredibly happy to hear you talking like this, Maya. When can I come and see you? I want to hear all about this in person as well and as soon as possible."

  "You can come over right now if you like. I'll meet you outside my apartment complex and we can take a walk as I tell you all about it."

  "Sounds wonderful. I'll see you soon, Maya." At that, Josh ends the call.

  Maya stuffs the items that she needs in a drawstring bag and heads out of her room only to be stopped by her mother before she can completely escape into the outside world.

  Her mother asks, "Where are you headed?"

  "I'm going to meet Josh outside and then we're going for a walk," Maya stated.

  Not appearing to have a care in the world, her mom waves a hand as a signal that Maya has approval to do what she stated. "Have fun, baby girl. Don't be out too late."

  "I won't. I'll be back in time to make you some dinner, mom."

  That catches her mom by surprise. "You're going to make me dinner? Not the other way around? Or me just going to get fast food?"

  "Nope. I skipped out on breakfast this morning, so I want to make it up to you."

  "That's very sweet, honey, but don't feel obligated to do so."

  "No obligations here. Just going to make dinner for my mom and me." Maya smiles and heads out the door.

  She goes to sit on the bottom step just outside her apartment complex and waits for Josh to come walking down the sidewalk with that bright smile upon his face. She ends up waiting for a bit longer than she expected, but it doesn't even phase her like it normally would. Ever since that experience with the Lord, she definitely feels changed in the heart and in the mind.

  And it's in that moment that she sees her boyfriend strolling down to meet her where she is and listen to all she has to tell him about her newfound devotion.