Chapter 28

Standing outside of one of the male dorms on the New York University campus, Maya wraps up her date with Zane. They had went to a fancy restaurant and gotten to know each other; Maya thinks he'll make a good friend.

  Before she can say goodnight and leave, Zane lightly touches her chin and leans close. The two of them are breathing the same air, and Maya can't help latching herself against him. She nuzzles her head in his chest in order to avoid having her lips anywhere near his. Everything in this moment is taking so much control. The one thing she didn't tell him is how she's dating Josh or someone else in general. It would be wrong to kiss someone whom she's not dating, right?

  He lifts her chin up to where she's looking him in the face. He whispers, "Do you want to come inside?"

  In the back of her mind, Maya knows what's about to go down and she should run in the opposite direction as fast as humanly possible. On the other hand, she wants to take a risk, live on the edge, and be a little bold and daring for one night. If she's going to live on the wild side, she's going to do it right by going through with it the whole day.

  She takes his hand and follows him into the dorm building. As soon as they get into his darkened room with the door closed, Zane pushes her back onto the bed and crawls next to her. Touching her chin, he brings her lips into a blissful kiss full of passion. She ignores everything telling her that this is wrong and throws herself over him; she is now sitting on top of him with her lips firmly pressed against his. He slides his hand underneath Maya's shirt. At that point, she stops kissing him and tosses her shirt across the room. She then unhooks her bra and tosses it in the same direction as her shirt. 

  As he starts undressing as well, Maya's phone rings. She tries to ignore it, but the persistence makes it unfeasible. She grabs it from the pocket of her pants that ended up on the floor and sees Josh's face across the whole screen. She wants to slide her finger across the screen and answer the dang phone, but she can't make herself do it. She knows this is probably a sign from God or something telling her to stop before she loses her virginity, but she declared earlier that day Josh only started dating her to make her a believer. Well, she's not a believer, she thinks as she throws her phone at the wall. 

  Zane wraps his arms around her from behind and whispers into her ear, "Everything okay?"

  "I don't know if I can do it," Maya admits.

  "I promise I'll make it worth it."

  "I don't think you can. Shouldn't the person I give up my virginity for be someone special?"

  "Am I not special? You wanted to do something wild, and you don't have a boyfriend now. I don't see why it wouldn't be worth it."

  Maya breaks away from Zane's arms and turns to face him. "I need to tell you something."

  "Can you tell me in the morning?" He moves to kiss her, but she stands up. He remains sitting on the bed and stares up at her with puppy dog eyes. "Maya... can't it wait? We're in the middle of something."

  "No. We were in the middle of something. Zane, I don't think I can do this. I have a boyfriend."

  "What? Who?"

  "Remember earlier today when I was asking if you knew Josh Matthews? That's my boyfriend. He's a student here."

  "Well, let's go tell him that you want a breakup."

  "I don't a want a breakup. I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to come in here with you. That was clearly a mistake. Though I don't regret the date we went on, I regret this. I already went too far by kissing you and basically getting naked in front of you. I need to put my clothes on and get the heck out of here."

  "One more kiss?"

  "I can't believe you're still trying to persuade me to stay with you. You know, I was thinking you'd be a good friend, but I don't ever want to see you again."

  "Hey, you chose to go out with me."

  "And I don't know what I was thinking. I'm insane. I have an incredible boyfriend that truly loves and cares about me. I don't know how I could be so blind. I'm so out of here."

  Hurriedly, Maya puts all of her clothes back on, grabs her phone, and stomps out of that room. She looks around the darkened campus and attempts to find the exit for this place. Just as she begins to freak out that she won't be able to escape Zane, her phone lights up again from Josh calling. She immediately picks it up, "Hello?"

  "Hey! I was so worried you were mad at me. You didn't answer my last call."

  "No. I'm not mad at you. Where you at right now?"

  "I'm in the vicinity of your apartment right now. I was hoping I could sneak up and talk with you. Would that be possible?"

  "Actually, funny story, I'm not at my apartment right now."

  "Then where are you?"

  "Your campus."

  Josh pauses before speaking into the phone again. "I guess both of us couldn't bear the thought of being upset with one another. That's a good sign."

  "Yeah," Maya musters to say. She feels completely ridden with guilt at what she just did minutes ago. She gave up something sacred with a non-special guy. 

  "So, do you want to meet up somewhere? How about Topanga's?"

  "Yeah. That sounds great. See you then." Maya hangs up the phone. As she walks off the campus, she imagines how Josh will react to the news about her going on a date with another guy. Something she hasn't done at all today, she decides to pray. She doesn't know if she's praying to God or another supernatural force in the universe, but right now she's praying that she won't lose her special someone.