Chapter 60

Maya sits in Riley's apartment at the dinner table with the whole Matthews family. She peers down at her shoes, wanting to yell at them for what they had just suggested but composing herself since she wants to love God to the best of her ability. 

  Riley places a hand on Maya's knee and rubs it gently, whispering, "They just want you to be taken care of, peaches."

  Maya whispers back, "I have been taken care of." Louder, she states, looking directly at Riley's parents, "I've been taken care of! I've been staying with Josh my whole junior year since finding out that my mom was dead! Why do I need a change of plans now?"

  "I believe you've been taken care of," Mrs. Matthews says. "But your apartment has been investigated and cleaned out now. Your mom was not found in the apartment like you thought she would be. Meaning she left you like your father did. Maya, you are still a minor. Someone must have custody over you or you're going to have to be in the foster system."

  Maya wants to cry. "Can Josh do that?"

  The Matthews parents glance at each other before responding to Maya. Mrs. Matthews says, "He could if he had his own place."

  "He does have his own place!" Maya yells. 

  "No, he lives in a college dorm."

  "Well, can you guys claim custody over me?"

  Again, the parents look at each other and then at Riley. Riley closes her eyes for a moment and smiles pleadingly at her parents. Mrs. Matthews says, "I guess we could, Maya, but we know about your school habits. If we claim you, you are not allowed to skip school. Period."

  Crap. No more ditching school after lunch with Nathan. No more surprise visits to Josh's campus during weekdays. No more freedom to be able to leave school or not show up if she does not feel like going one day. Although that would be difficult to put up with, she considers the alternative of being placed in the foster system. She has no idea what family she would end up with or how much they would care about her. And the restrictions might be even worse with the family, but they could be better, too. 

  Riley squeezes Maya's knee, which forces Maya to look at the Matthews family. She says, "Do you guys understand high school stress at all? People are mean there. The students and the teachers. Sometimes we just need a break. Plus, it will be my senior year! You can't expect me not to get senioritis."

  Mr. Matthews says, "I understand the stress of high school and how being almost done can make it harder to keep attending, but that's a rule if we claim custody over you."

  Maya groans way too loudly. "Ugh, fine! I'll follow the stupid rule."

  "Maya!" Riley gets onto her best friend. 

  "It's okay, Riley." Mrs. Matthews says. "Now, Maya, we just have a few more rules to go over before we agree to take custody over you."

  Oh, joy, more rules. "Let's hear them," Maya says.

  "We expect you home by eleven every night."

  What??? What about her nights sleeping with Josh? There is no way she is going an entire year without being able to sleep at Josh's place.

  "Absolutely not! I need to be able to spend the night at Josh's." Maya states.

  The Matthews look at each other again, but Riley jumps in. "Mom, dad, they don't have sex. They literally just sleep next to each other."

  "I know," Mr. Matthews says. "I've talked with Josh about it. He is my brother after all." He folds his hands on the table. "I'll tell you what Maya. You can have one night each weekend at Josh's place, but no more than that. Does that sound fair?"

  She wants to say no. She has gotten so used to sleeping at Josh's place and waking up next to him every morning for the past year; she doesn't know how she can go a whole year without having her nights and mornings like that. She knows that staying with her best friend is probably a way better alternative than being put in the foster system, though.

  She says quietly, "Ok. That's fair. Are there any more rules?"

  "Just a couple."

  Maya groans into her thoughts. She never felt like she had this many restrictions when she lived at her mom's apartment. But then again, she was very rebellious and did her own thing regardless of what her mom wanted. Thinking about that brings tears to Maya's eyes again, and she holds her hand up to excuse herself as she rushes into the bathroom.

  When she is safely in the bathroom, she takes out her phone and dials Josh's number. 

  He answers after a couple of rings, "Everything okay?"

  "Riley's parents want to claim custody over me."

  "That's great, Maya!"

  "I guess, but they have so many rules."

  "Like what?"

  "Like having to be home by eleven every night and not skipping school."

  She hears Josh chuckle. "Maya, I know you have a rebellious spirit, but those rules aren't too bad. I know plenty of parents that would not even allow their kids to go out on school nights."

  She raises her eyebrows. "Really? That's terrible."

  "I would let them take custody over you."

  "Well, I am. But I wanted to ask if you wanted to get your own place and you could take custody over me."

  He sighs. "Maya, I'd really like to finish my last year of college at college. I also do not want to have to worry about paying rent right now. Also, if we had a place together, I think it would very hard for me to control myself around you."

  "What do you mean?"

  "I would end up having sex with you."

  Maya smiles shyly, "I mean,  that's not so bad."

  "Maya," he states sternly. "You know how I feel about us doing that before we're married."

  "But why does it matter so much? We're going to get married anyway! What's it matter if we do it early or not?"

  "I just know I want to be married to you before we do anything, okay?"

  Releasing a heavy sigh, Maya says, "Okay. I guess I better let you go, too, so I can finish hearing the other rules Riley's parents have for me."

  "I'm sure it won't be that bad. And just think, in just a year, the two of us could be married and living together. No parents' rules. Just us."

  Maya smiles at the thought of living with Josh and having no restrictions. With that, she hangs up the phone and heads back into the kitchen to listen to the rest of the rules.