Chapter 34

The next morning Maya wakes up to soft strokes of her hair, and she curls herself into Josh. He then pets her head and kisses the top of it. He smiles, "Good morning, my sleepy girl. So, what was it you wanted to tell me?"

  Attempting to blink her eyes awake, Maya replies confusedly, "What did I want to tell you?"

  He laughs into her hair, "Silly girl. I don't know what it is, but last night you said you wanted to tell me about your first attack."

  At that, her eyes fling open and she sits straight up. She positions herself to where she's facing him, "Right! That! So, I was walking with my best friend Riles and out of nowhere an arm comes around my neck. Instantly, I grab the arm and flip the person over my shoulder. I just thought it was cool how I actually had an attack in the streets of New York. And guess what, I won!! Even better!!"

  Josh's expression doesn't show near the same amount of excitement as Maya's. He grits his teeth before saying, "Maya, I'm glad you were able to take this guy down to the ground, however, you're still my girlfriend. I'm responsible for protecting you. You are my treasure; if something were to happen to you, I don't know how I would cope."

  Maya almost wants to cry at his meaningful words, but she manages to hold back the tears. She responds with, "I mean that much to you? You love me that much? Am I your whole world?"

  "Yes. Yes. And I can't say yes to that last one. You're not my whole world, but you're pretty darn close." He takes her hand in his own and kisses the top of it, "I love you, Maya Hart. You are an amazing girlfriend. I'm so glad you mustered the courage to ask me out. If you hadn't, I was bound to date this other girl at the college. I don't think it would have gone well, honestly. Thank you so much for mustering the courage to ask me out. I really do mean that." He gives her hand a squeeze.

  "You didn't think it was too much of a stalker move or just  plain creepy?"

  "No. I absolutely loved what you did. I think you're brave and creative."

  "I'm not that creative."

  A higher voice coming from out the window speaks into their conversation, "Lies."

  Maya turns her attention the window and sees Riley standing outside of it. She gives her usual bright and sunshiny smile. Maya lets go of Josh's hand, gets out of the bed, and goes to open the window to let her friend come inside. 

  Once Riley is in the room, Maya grabs clothes out of her dresser and leaves the bedroom to change outfits. When she makes her way back into the bedroom, Riley is sitting cross-legged on the bed directly in front of a Josh that hasn't moved. She comments, "Oh look, it's my two favorite people in the whole entire world. My supportive best friend and my loving boyfriend. This is the happiest moment of my life."

  Riley rejects that possibility, "What about your wedding day? Won't that be one of the happiest moments?"

  Maya rolls her eyes at her friend, "It hasn't happened yet, but when it does, yes. Then I would be holding my man's hands and have my best friend stand guard beside me. Boy, I can't wait for that day."

  That's when Josh shuts down her slight daydreaming, "The wedding isn't happening any time soon. You girls know that right?"

  "Of course we know that," Riley affirms. "It's just fun to talk about."

  "Maybe save for when I'm not in the room as well."

  "Why are you uncomfortable?"

  "It's not that I'm uncomfortable; I just would rather not discuss a wedding at the present time."

  Maya peers intently at him, "Josh, are you okay? Do we need to go out and  talk?"

  "No, everything is okay. In fact, I have to head back to campus now so I'm not late for my class. I'll catch you two later." He stands from the bed, waves at Maya, and climbs out the window. 

  Riley states the obvious, "Well, that was odd."

  "No kidding."

  "Do you know what's up with him?"

  "No idea."

  Riley shrugs, "Well, you ready to head to school now?"

  "Not really, but I guess we have to, huh?"

  "That's how it works. We've got to go whether we feel like going or not."

  Riley stands up on the floor and takes Maya's hand in her own. The two of them head in the direction of the bedroom door and walk out together.

~~~~~

  Later that evening, Maya sits outside of her window on the fire escape as she waits for her loving boyfriend to come and spend the night again. She checks the time on her phone, which reads 9:00. Usually he tries to arrive to her apartment before the nine o'clock hour, so she's beginning to wonder what's up.

  After dialing his number, he answers on the first ring, "Hey, Maya, I don't think I'm going to spend the night tonight."

  "How come?"

  "I need some personal time with God tonight. I feel like I haven't gotten enough of that. I love you, though. You really do mean a lot to me." With that, he ends the call.

  Maya keeps the phone to her hear even after the beeps signaling the ending of the call. Something about him seems a bit off and she's not sure what it is. She knows that his time with God is super important, but usually, he doesn't need to sacrifice his time with her. She tries to shrug it off as she climbs back through the window to call up her best friend.