Chapter 26

Maya wakes up to a playful shove from Riley and the sun shining through the window. She gives her a good morning smile and rolls into a sitting position on the bed. Her attention turns to what's on the other side of the window, which causes her to remember the unfortunate event of last night. The remembrance dissipates the smile she awoke with. Noticing the sudden change in expression, Riley lays a hand on her shoulder. Maya looks up at her and attempts a smile, but all that ends up happening is letting her head hang.

Riley softly speaks, "I'm sorry, girl. I thought last night made you happy. Are you still processing that I've actually changed for the better?"

Trying to recall what happened with Riley last night, nothing comes to mind. This means that she has to make up a story for why she appears downtrodden. She begins, "I'm still really happy about having you as my best friend again, so I'm not processing the change. I would never question a change for the better."

"Okay." Riley rubs her shoulder and lets it fall beside her. "So, you want to tell me why you look defeated?"

"I'm just..." Maya says the first thing that comes to mind. "I'm just stressed about school."

Riley lets out a chuckle and lightly punches Maya in the arm. "Since when do you care about school?"

"Since Josh cares about it," Maya chokes the words out and tears slide down her cheeks. She immediately uses the backs of her hands to wipe the tears away, but the more she tries to clear her face the more she cries. Riley puts an arm around Maya as she sits beside her. Maya muffles, "I love Josh a lot. Riley, what if we don't work out?"

"I don't think you need to worry about that. I've never seen you care for another guy more than Josh. It's really sweet."

"Maybe I care, but does he care?"

"I honestly don't know. But he's in college and he's still choosing to be with you. If that doesn't show dedication, commitment, whatever the word is, then I don't know what does."

"You really think so?"

"Your relationship is the sweetest thing. I'm not going to lie, I was jealous."

"Please. Any good guy would fall for you."

"You say that. What makes a guy good?"

"He'll share the same values as you."

  Before Riley responds, Maya speaks something that always seems to resurface her mind every now and then, "Because I wasn't good. I wasn't good for him, but he was good for me."

"Was? You're talking like you're broken up. Maya, is everything okay? Did something happen after I fell asleep?"

"I didn't want to tell you. I wanted it to fix itself."

"You don't have to tell me. I'm the one that pushed you away as my best friend. You're still processing that we're best friends again. I get that."

"No, I'm not still processing. Riley, you're my best friend. If I tell you, then that makes what happened between me and Josh real. I don't want it to be real."

"I get that. Well, mind if I borrow some clothes?'

"Sure. Raid my closet."

"That didn't sound assuring. Are you sure?"

"Honestly, you can. I just don't sound it right now."

"Okay. Love you, peaches."

The warmth leaves Maya's side when Riley stands to check out what clothes are in the closet. Since the warmth is gone, the comfort she needs is also gone. She stands and grabs her phone from the desk, checking for any messages from Josh. She clicks it on, but no new notifications appear on the screen. Setting her phone back down, she scurries out of the room, not worried about whether Riley sees her leaving or not.

Outside of the apartment complex, she has to squint her eyes due to the sun glaring down at her. Spotting the nearest signpost, she walks over to it, grabs it with one hand, and dances herself around the pole.

Normally, Riley does the carefree dances whenever and wherever, but right now, Maya needs to feel like a princess. With the situation of being in a rut with her prince, how else would she be able to act like a princess?

The wind picks up slightly and blows through her hair. At this, Maya imagines Josh spinning her round and round and then smelling her hair. She swallows to keep herself from choking and crying all over again. Dating shouldn't have to be this complicated. Why can't it be all fuzzies and warm feelings?

One glance at the doors to the complex keeps Maya dancing around the pole. With no sign of Riley coming out to drag her to school, she lives in her fantasy about Josh as long as time will allow her.

Across the street, written as graffiti on the walls is He's Only With You Til Something Better Comes Along. It takes everything Maya has to hold back all of the tears welled up inside her. She knows all about graffiti and how she shouldn't believe everything she reads, but why does it have to be directly across from her? Trying her damnedest to not let a tear out, she stops dancing around the pole and dashes across the street. She stares down the wall and shouts at the top of her lungs, "YOU'RE WRONG! HE LOVES ME! I'M NOT GOING TO BELIEVE YOU! HE LOVES ME! THAT'S WHAT I KNOW FOR SURE!"

Releasing a sigh after shouting at the wall, Maya can tell that shouting helped calm her down. As she turns around to prepare to walk across the street, she notices a couple individuals giving strange looks in her direction. She smiles at them and says, "Good morning! Have a good day!" Without another glance at them, she makes her way to the other side where her complex is.

In what seems to be perfect timing, Riley exits out of the building carrying Maya's backpack and phone. After handing them to her and watching her put the backpack on, Riley links her arm through Maya's. She urges them to walk in the direction of their school.

Maya can't help feeling happiness within her heart. The inseparable best friends walk to school together again.