Chapter 24

Sobbing into her hands, Maya can't make herself sleep that night. Her mom wants her to find joy in Josh, but how can she possibly do that when Josh wouldn't even spare an hour or two to talk with her? She still can't believe that he rejected her. He chose homework over her feelings. She knows this is a selfish way to think, but right now, that's how she feels and she doesn't want to feel another way in this moment of time.

  A message tone distracts her from saddened thoughts. It reads, "My name is Myra. Please respond with your name so I can continue with the discussion."

  Not knowing whether or not to respond to a stranger over text, Maya saves the number to her contacts. While she's deciding upon responding to the text, another one appears from the same number.

Myra:  My name is Myra. I would like to get to know you. Please respond with your name so I can continue with the discussion.

Maya:  My name is Maya.

Myra:  Hello, Maya. Thank you for responding with your name. I can continue with the discussion now. Do you have a boyfriend?

Maya:  Why do you want to know?

Myra:  I must continue with the discussion now. Do you have a boyfriend? Answer yes or no.

Maya:  Yes.

Myra:  What is your boyfriend's name?

Maya:  Josh.

Myra:  Is that a first name or a last name?

Maya:  Are you an actual person or just a robot?

Myra:  I must continue with the discussion. Is Josh a first name or a last name?

Maya:  I'm not answering until you answer me. Are you an actual person or just a robot?

Myra:  I am a real person. I am a girl that lives in New York.

Maya:  How did you get my number and why are you messaging me?

Myra:  You gave me your number because we are friends. I am messaging you because I am lonely.

Maya:  I don't know any Myra's. How did we meet?

Myra:  Look outside your window.

  Maya sets her phone down and goes to open her window. When she does and looks down below on the sidewalk, she sees a similar girl to Riley's appearance and has to do a double take in order to believe it's actually her. She reaches for her phone and dials the number of Myra to find out if her former best friend is the same person as this stranger.

  Sure enough, Riley's voice is heard through the phone. "Hey."

  "Riley."

  "Not Riley. Myra."

  "What?"

  "Call me Myra."

  "Why?"

  "I don't deserve to be called Riley anymore. I betrayed my best friend. I have to completely change myself. That includes my name."

  "But I like your name being Riley. It would betray me more if you have a new name."

  "Really? You still want the old me?"

  Maya thinks through Riley saying her old self before speaking. "Yes. I don't know how your new self is, but I like the Riley that I know."

  "But that includes pushing you away because your feelings weren't being reciprocated."

  "That's okay. You made a mistake. I forgive you. I love you."

  "Thanks, Maya. Now get down here so I can hug you."

  "Absolutely."

  Maya hangs up the phone as she quietly exits her bedroom. She tiptoes to the front door and walks down the flight of stairs to where Riley awaits on the sidewalk. The two girls wrap their arms around one another.

  Riley says, "I've missed you so much! You have no idea."

  Maya backs out of the hug. "Josh was right. This was a matter in God's hands. He brought you back to me."

  "You prayed for me?"

  "Yeah. I have a relationship with Jesus now."

  "Now you're more Christian than me."

  "That belief doesn't exist. Have you rededicated your life to him?"

  "Not yet. I need to do that. Do you mind if I spend the night with you?"

  "You want to talk to him in my room?"

  "Yeah. I want you to help me. Since you seem so interested in the faith now, I think you could really help me revive mine."

  "Well, I'm kind of new at this. I'm not sure how exactly to help you."

  "Why don't we go up to your room first and then I'll ask you some questions."

  "Alright."

  The two girls walk up the stairs up to Maya's apartment. All the while Maya seems very unsure of how this conversation is going to end up. She wants Riley to rededicate her life, but she's not sure if she can help her do so. When the two of them arrive in her bedroom, they sit cross-legged on the floor across from each other.

  Riley's eyes are filled with excitement as she asks, "So, what made you decide to dedicate your life to Christ?"

  To hear that being the question Riley decides to ask makes Maya relax a bit as she answers. "Well, Josh is Christian, which means I'm constantly having his remarks about God put into a lot of the things we discuss. When he told me about his faith and feeling God's presence, how it's not something that can necessarily be explained; you just kind of have to experience it for yourself. I guess I just reached that point where I couldn't only imagine what it was like; I had to know for myself. So I decided to dedicate my life to Jesus."

  "Wow." Riley takes it all in. "I'm so incredibly happy for you, girl. Just listening to your story alone makes me miss God. He hasn't been active in my life like I want him to be. I want that; I want what you have now, Maya."

  "Is this the part where I'm supposed to help you rededicate your life?"

  Riley chuckles. "You're so funny! By telling your story, you did help me. The actual rededicating my life to Christ is all my part. You can't do a thing about it."

  "So... what am I supposed to do now?"

  "I want you to listen to me pray."

  "You don't want to be alone for this moment?"

  "Maya, you're my best friend. I want you in here when I ask him back into my life."

  Riley puts out her hands in front of Maya for her to take, which she does. With a smile upon her face, Riley begins talking to the Lord above and Maya listens intently, not wanting to miss a single second of this precious moment.