Chapter 33

The same night of the attack outside of the apartment complex Maya dials up Josh's number and waits for him to pick up the phone. When he does, she squeals into the phone like a typical hype girl, "Josh!! Guess what!! I just had an attack outside of my apartment!! Isn't that awesome?!"

  Josh does not voice the same enthusiasm, "What? Maya, are you okay? Tell me the address of the place you're at or at least describe it to the best of your ability. I'll find you right away, I promise."

  A hint of confusion fills Maya's expression, but she shrugs past it. "No, Josh, listen to me. I had an attack. A real attack. My first attack. Isn't that amazing?"

  "Yeah, amazingly scary. Maya, I know you must be all hyped up from the rush of the attack, but you've got to tell me where you're at so that I can come get you."

  "Josh, I'm standing in my room. I'm fine. The attacker doesn't have me."

  Relief voices through Josh's response, "Oh. I was getting worried there. Maya, could you do me a favor and not lead with being in an attack in a conversation?"

  "Sure thing. I didn't realize you would take it that way."

  "Maya, I care about you more than you'll ever know. And because I care about you, I am going to worry about you. Mentioning that you were in an attack, I expect the worse. You understand that, right?"

  "I guess so. I'm sorry for giving you a scare, Josh."

  "It was almost like the scare you gave me when you mentioned the other guy you went out with."

  Feeling the twinges of guilt returning due to when she cheated on Josh, Maya tries her hardest to push passed what she wants to say. Instead, she changes the subject, "So, do you want to know more about the attack?"

  "Not really. Unless you're hurt, Maya, next time don't say anything."

  "But can I pretty please tell you about it? It was significant to me."

  Maya hears the sigh in Josh's voice. "I don't really want to hear about it, but if you really want me to know, then you can tell me next time we get together."

  "Okay, cool. Are you busy tonight?"

  "I'll come and spend the night. I've got to finish my homework first. I'll text you before I head over there, though."

  "Awesome! I'll see you then." Maya hangs up the phone and sets it on her desk. 

  She goes to her window and cracks it open for when Josh gets here. Then she lies down on her bed and rests her head on top of her hands, attempting to take a nap before her loving boyfriend arrives for the night.

  When Maya awakes after a few hours, she opens her eyes to the darkness of the bedroom. Though she doesn't see him, she feels a warm body right beside her. She turns onto her side and rests her head on his chest with her hand where she can feel his heartbeat.

  He whispers, "I'm back for revenge."

  At that, Maya's eyes fly open and springs out of the bed, turning on the light and scurrying close to the door. Once the light turns on, she notices the person in her bed isn't Josh. Instead, the person is the guy she cheated on him with. She watches as he sits up in her bed and stares directly into her eyes. Finally, she finds words to speak, "Zane. Um. What are you doing here? How did you know which room was mine?"

  "Ah, it wasn't hard. I just looked for the open window."

  "You knew my window would be open?"

  "No. But I just looked for the open window."

  "What kind of person are you?"

  "I'm still figuring that out."

  "What do you want from me?"

  "Well, now that I'm here, I want what we never finished."

  "I'm not dating you."

  "That's not what I meant."

  "I'm not having sex with you either."

  "We'll see about that."

  "Zane, I'm warning you. I was attacked today and I totally won the fight."

  "Oh, I know you could win a physical fight no problem. That's not how you're going to have sex with me. I have my ways."

  Maya only glares at him and crosses her arms, waiting for him to continue his thought.

  "Well, you have a boyfriend. I can almost guarantee he would not stay with you if we had sex tonight."

  Maya keeps up her guard, even though her thoughts wander every which way. "Your point?"

  Before Zane is able to say anymore, Josh taps on the window to be let in. Maya glances over towards the window, but a problem arises. Zane looks over as well. After a few seconds, she runs to the window and opens it. Josh immediately steps inside and turns his attention to Zane sitting on the bed.

  Josh asks sternly, "Maya, who is this guy?"

  "Just an ordinary jerk," Maya states roughly.

  Zane objects, "Whoa, I may be a jerk at times, but ordinary? Really? I don't know if I can handle that. I'm sorry, Maya, but this relationship is over."

  "We were never in a relationship to begin with."

  "What about that date the other day?"

  "Zane, get out of my room before I hurt you."

  "There won't be any need for that. Just admit it. You love me."

  "Maybe you're mistaking the words love and loathe 'cause I don't love you, but boy, I sure loathe you."

  In a compassionate voice, Josh tells Maya, "Hey, Maya, remember who you are. Not of your own power, but of the one above."

  Snapping out of her aggressive state of mind, Maya looks at Josh. Not even seeming to care that another guy is in her bed, Josh walks over to her and kisses her lips over and over again. She falls deep into the kiss and thinks of nothing else. 

  Trying to interrupt the kiss, Zane stands and loudly says, "I guess I'll be leaving now. I'll see you eventually, Maya. He won't always be here to help you or distract you or whatever."

  Once Zane exits out the window, the kiss stops for a few seconds in order to shut the window. The two of them turn off the light and climb into her bed, pulling the covers over themselves. 

  Maya now has to ask about the kiss. "So, what exactly was that?"

  "When you looked at me, I don't know. Something special was in your eyes. I just couldn't resist. Maya, I know I love you. What could possibly be wrong with that?"

  Into the darkness, Maya smiles and rests her head on Josh's chest. He kisses the top of her head and then the two of them fall into the realm of sleep and dreams.