This Christmas (9)

After a few days to settle in and meet the family I finally felt comfortable in my surroundings. Went out for pints with the lads as Niall calls them. Thank goodness I already knew Willie and Deo. In that group of testosterone they were a huge help to make me feel like one of the guys.

Niall on the other hand had been acting a little out of sorts. I figured it was just holiday jitters or whatever. The more we ventured out the more of a chance for him to be noticed. Not that he cared as long as it was just two or three at a time.

I made my way to the kitchen early this morning and rummaged through the pantry to get what I needed. Everyone had been so kind to me I wanted to do something for them. I popped in an earbud and turned my music on. Found the recipe for Maura's pancakes and set to work fixing breakfast.

Just as I flipped the last pancake Niall walked in and asked what I was doing. I just looked at him like he was an idiot. “Really Niall? I'm checking the oil in the car. What does it look like I'm doing?”

“Don't have to be so hateful,” he poked me in the ribs with his finger.

“I'm not hateful ya knob.”

He looked at me offended and a little proud. “Did you just call me a knob?” He let out a laugh as I just looked at him. I wasn't sure if I used it right, but was pretty sure I did. “You've been in Ireland too long.”

“Well it's all your fault that I'm even here.” I stuck my tongue out at him. “Anyway what are we doing today?”

“Why do we have to be doing anything?” He had his head stuck inside the refrigerator.

“Well we have been doing stuff everyday. Just figured there was something today.” I finished with the food and placed it on the table.

As if on cue Maura and Chris walked in the kitchen.

“I got nothin’ planned,” he said as he closed the door with the pitcher of fresh orange juice in hand.

“Good cause I need to borrow Sammy,” Maura cut in. “And what is this? Did you two do this?” Maura motioned to the table of food.

“Nope it was all Sam.” Niall sat the drink on the table before he hugged his mother.

Chris hugged me and let me know that I shouldn't have gone to all this trouble for them. Maura hushed him, “If someone else wants to get up and fix breakfast then let them. Less for me to do,” she winked at me from across the table.

“So you said you needed to borrow me. What are we doing?” I asked Maura over my plate of pancakes and sausage.

“I need to do a little errand run and wanted to see if you wanted to join me and Denise for lunch a little shopping.”

“Oh well sure,” I was a caught off guard a little. Sounded very mother daughter-ish thing to do.

“Good dear. Need to have a little girl time with ya. Seems my son has been stingy with you.” She raised an eyebrow over her coffee mug at him. “Denise will come collect us to drive over to Dublin.”

After we finished breakfast I got ready for a fun day in Dublin. I had just finished with my makeup when I heard Niall ask if he could come in.

“So going shopping with the girls? Sounds fun,” he smirked at me. I noticed he was in a t-shirt and joggers still and his hair still a mess.

“Hey I have been with way more testosterone lately I could use some girl time,” I joked.

“Well I can just start leavin’ ya out of the plans.” He laid back on the bed. “And I just want to go ahead and apologize for whatever my ma might say, do or ask while I'm not there to stop her.”