This Christmas (4)

“So you ready for this?” Niall asked as we took our seats on the plane. He knew I was worried about everything. We went over and over again about my fears of not fitting in. He tried to reassure me that everyone would welcome me with open arms.

“No but its a little late now,” I sat back in my seat and buckled in. I could not believe that I was doing this. Flying around the world to spend Christmas with a family I didn't know. I had met a couple of his cousins, but never spent much time with them.

His chuckle did not help the anxiety that had found its home in my head. I had not celebrated Christmas with my family since my parents had passed. Just the thought of being with a large group for the first time made me sick at my stomach. “Hey,” he squeezed my hand, “you good? Look like you're about to be sick.”

I shook my head, “No, I'm ok. Just nervous about everything.” He left his hand on mine and told me again for like the millionth time that everything was going to be fine. That was easy for him to say. It was his family they already loved him.

“Its going to be a long flight. Just try to relax.” His voice low and soothing. If only I could wrap myself up in his words and warmth I would be ok. “Just a warning I'm gonna sleep through most of this flight. You might want to try it. Only way to fight off as much jet lag as you can.”

He didn't lie; Niall had laid his seat back and next thing I knew he was asleep thirty minutes into the flight. That left me to stew in my own personal hell all alone. I'm not sure how many times the air hostess came around to check on everyone. She informed me that our meals would be starting soon and asked if they should wait on Niall's. I told her I would be more than glad to wake him when it was time.

After she left I shook Niall's arm; nothing. I did it again and said his name. Still nothing from him. I could see this was going to be one of those times I have to piss him off. I put my hand on his stomach and started to tickle him.

He pushed my hand away, “What the hell Sam?”

“They are going to start meals. Told her I would wake you.” I answered plainly.

“Ya didn't have to do it like that,” he rubbed the palm of his hand to his eye. He was always grouchy when you had to wake him so I was use to this.

“That was my last resort Niall. Tried nice and easy but it didn't work.” I sat back in my seat and fidgeted with my blanket.

He sat up, “Have you been awake this entire time?” His sleep voice hung on for a few minutes. I gave him a quick nod. “I got these seats so you could relax. Did you even try to sleep?”

“Unsuccessfully.” I stated flatly. “You know I'm freaking out about everything. How do you think I'm going to sleep?”

After we finished the lovely meal Niall gave me his headphones and turned on his chill list. “Now try to relax yeah. Still got another six hours to go.” I thanked him and let my seat back. I curled up as much as I could with my blanket. After the third song my eyes felt heavy.

I'm startled awake by Niall. He had pulled the headphones off of my head and shook me. “Hey sleepy time to set up.” It took me a minute to get my bearings. I sat up and asked if we were there yet. “No but close. You alright?”

“I feel a little better. Still scared, but better rested.” I took the water he handed me and took a sip. “So will we be landing in Dublin soon?”

“I told you two hour layover in Heathrow.” He shook his head at me. He looked like he was dealing with a fussy child that wouldn't listen to him.

“Great more time to set and worry.” That got a laugh from him. “Its not funny Neil.” I loved to call him that because I knew it bothered him.

Two hour layover more like three hours twenty-five minutes and twelve seconds. Yes I counted. Thank God we got to set in a private waiting area. I checked in at work and read a few emails. I noticed Niall watched me and shook his head. “What? I'm just checking in. Besides I don't want my inbox full when I go back.”

“Holiday love, You're on holiday. Leave that stuff alone.” He sounded a little discouraged with my actions. He took my phone and put it in his pocket. Before I could protest he asked, “So why is this really the first vacation from work?”

“Niall I've told you before,” I huffed not a topic I wanted to deal with.

“No you haven't. You always brush it off and say you just don't have time or anywhere you want to go. What about family?”

“I told you because my parents passed and I just don't like to go back there.” Why did he have to start this? I would rather walk on broken glass than do this.

“What about the rest of your family? You never talk about them.” He pushed on with this topic.

“Niall,” I raised my voice a little as I stood to walk away. “I just don't want to ok. Just drop it or I will get a ticket back to LA.”

“Ok ok calm down,” he sounded surprised. I had my back turned to him. I didn't want to see the sympathetic look I'm sure he was giving me.Thank goodness for the overhead of the boarding of our flight.

We boarded and waited for the short end of the flight to be over. He never brought up the family subject again. We landed in Dublin and you could see a change in him. His smile seemed happier; his eyes a brighter blue. It was as if you flipped a switch to make Niall extra Niall.

We exited the plane and gathered our luggage. I heard a voice call out to Niall. I didn't know the voice so it worried me that we might get mobbed. Niall being the happy-go-lucky guy he was laughed and asked the guy, “What's the craic?”

I just stood there and watched the exchange. They made small talk till the guy noticed me over Niall's shoulder. “You got a shadow.” Niall looked back and gave a small chuckle.

“Yeah she's my friend I brought home. Sam this is Basil. Bas this is Sam.” He did a short introduction.

I offered my hand to shake hands with Basil. He looked me over for a moment then shook my hand. It finally dawned on me that was Niall's friend slash bodyguard. I felt a nervous sickness pool at the bottom of my stomach.

“So this is Sam? Nice to meet you.” The corners of his lips moved to give away a slight smile. “Heard you were a feisty one. Not going to give me any trouble today are ya?”

I gave Niall my your in trouble glare. I looked back at Basil, “Feisty maybe a little, but only to him,” I motioned to Niall. “And what are we doing today?”

Both men laughed at my feisty comment. Niall let me know that he had planned on a little time in Dublin before we head to Mullingar. Well just kill me now. “So you're just trying to kill me. I see how it is. Make me wait even longer to face my fears. Thanks Neil.”