Chapter 56

The music was booming through the speakers. Chloe was dancing. Calum was drinking. Zoe was no where in sight. I had last seen her putting up the streamers, leaving me in charge, and heading out to work. You'd think she'd make it to her best friends birthday party. I called her about a dozen times and no reply. I didn't want to worry too much about it, but given the party and who it was for, it was a pretty bad situation. I went outside, a couple was making out inside the bounce castle. People were sitting in a circle smoking. I squinted through the smoke cloud. No Zoe. I went upstairs into her bedroom and sat on her bed. 

"Where are you Zoe." I whispered to myself. I clutched her pillow to my chest and stared up at the ceiling. Loud footsteps were coming my way, the door flung opened.

"Zoe?" I spun around to see Calum in the doorway. 

"Dude come one, stop being such a killjoy," He spoke, leaning against the door frame. 

"Sorry, its just. . ." I didn't know what to say, it seemed all too embarrassing. 

"Come on" He said motioning me out the door. Reluctantly I got up and shut the door behind me. Someone had supplied the party with beers, but not many people were drinking them. I grabbed one, ignoring my mothers nagging in the back of my head. Chloe shot me a disappointing look from the crowd of dancing bodies. 

Calum was now on the couch telling a story. I walked out the front door and clashed with someone my height. It was a man. It was Chris.

"What are you doing here?" I spat. 

"I just-- I came for the, uh, party." He stuttered, scratching his head.

"And who the hell invited you?" 

"I came with Nicholas," He spoke now in a more confident tone. Nicholas happened to be one of Chloes friends. 

"Wheres Zoe?" He asked me.

"Yeah, that's something I'd also like to know" I muttered under my breath, looking down at the unopened beer can in my hand.

"Here take this," I placed it in his hands, and began walking down the driveway. The cool summer wind hit my face. Stars were scattered around the sky. I imagined myself watching them with Zoe. I imagined kissing her under the stars like we had so many times. I imagined her telling me a joke. I imagined her, and I wanted nothing more then to be with her, right now, under thing picture perfect sky.

I walked to the gas station that was located 5 blocks away. I bought myself a cup of coffee. I sat outside on the concrete. I watched an old man walk in and then walk out. I watched people walk in and out for about an hour. I bought another cup, and sat back down. A women offered me money, I chuckled and told her I didn't need it. I wondered around aimlessly with the my palm wrapped around the steaming cup. I walked until I figured the party was over. I walked until Calum called me telling me the party was over. I helped Calum clean up. Chloe was passed out on the couch. 

"Ash, she's going to be alright, you're being a bit overdramatic about the whole thing" Calum spoke to me. Both of us were hunched over the floor picking up cup after cup. 

"I know she's fine, theres just something unsettling about her not coming to the party."  I told him. I swept while Calum vacuumed. I mopped, while Calum took out the trash. 

I carried Chloe to my car and drove her home. Her mom opened the door. I carried her to her room.

I felt like a zombie. I felt like all this was routine. It was one o'clock, and I still hadn't heard anything from Zoe. I sat on my bed and watched turned on the TV. I calmed myself down by telling myself she had a long day at work. I actually wouldn't be surprised if she had crashed on top of the old counter in the store. I laughed at the thought.

2:00am 

Still no Zoe.