Chapter 9

The week went by pretty quick. It was the day before prom and everyone was frantic. There was nonstop gossip about people's dates and what they're gonna wear. The one I heard the most was about Zoë and Brock the one we were avoiding the most. At least the girls knew he was available. He looked pretty bad when I saw him. I didn't look as bad as him, but the bruises were starting to become more visible. Zoë and Chloe's dresses had came in the mail so after school they tried them on.

Me and Calum came once they were done. We hung upstairs in Zoë's room, telling Chloe about the eerie events that happened that weekend. We didn't say anything about Brock. My mom and a couple other people became suspicious about my cuts and bruises, I told them I had fallen off my bike and there was nothing to worry about.

"Wanna get some snacks with me?" Zoë asked me.

"Sure" I said. We both got up and headed downstairs.

Zoë grabbed the pack of cookies and I grabbed the drinks. As I headed out of the kitchen she grabbed my arm pulling me back towards her.

"Chloe says I got a lot of bruises and small scratches on my back" she lowered her voice.

"Y-you do?"

She nodded. She turned around and motioned me to lift up her shirt. If I pulled it up any higher I would've reached her bra. She pushed her hair to one side and held it in her hand.

Spots on her back were purplish. I softly brushed my fingers over them she winced at the feeling. I knew the impact was hard, but I never knew it would've been so hard.

"Woah ok!"

We both quickly turned around to see Calum and Chloe right behind him. Calum winked at us.

"There are a bunch more?!" Chloe shrieked. I figured Chloe only saw part of her back. Calum finally understood what was happening and wiped the smirk on his face.

"Zoë what happened?!" Chloe asked, worry filled her voice, "and don't tell me you fell of your bike because a bike accident couldn't have been that bad, and you don't even ride your bike!"

Chloe started to sound like a mom, Zoë took a deep breath. And grabbed her arm pulling her upstairs. Calum helped me with the snacks and we trailed behind them. Zoë began to tell the story. But this time from the beginning, the part that I didn't hear. She told us how Brock basically humiliated her in front of everyone at the party. And how she walked all the way back home. Multiple gasps were heard from Chloe when she told what happened at night.

"Oh my god, how could he?" Chloe's voice was small. Zoë shrugged. They both conversed about the events and Brock.

"I swear to god Ashton she's getting closer and closer to you" Calum whispered.

I shrugged, "it's nothing"

"Pshh" was all Calum had said before Chloe got the idea to "summon the ghost".

"Are you stupid" Calum cried,"you don't know if there's a ghost or not, and you don't know if it's bad or whatever"

"We'll find out" Chloe smirked.

"How?" I raised my eyebrow.

"Ouija Board" Chloe answered.

"And you own one?" Zoë asked.

We were finding out more and more about Chloe's obsession with ghost. I personally thought it was stupid, but a try wouldn't hurt. Chloe was too lazy to run back home and get hers so we got a cardboard box and cut the sides out. She wrote down 'Hello', 'Goodbye', the alphabet, numbers 1-10, and the words 'yes' and 'no.

We grabbed one of Zoë's hair-ties and set it in the middle.

"You know you need an proper board it won't work with this one" I snorted.

"But what if it does" Chloe challenged.

"It won't" Calum said, he looked down at the cardboard.

"You know it can be dangerous" Zoë said.

"But it probably won't work'' I repeated myself. Chloe turned the the lights off and lit a scented candle, that she found on Zoës nightstand.

Zoë shrugged, we both put both our index fingers on the hair-tie. Surprisingly they all fit.

"Someone ask something" Chloe demanded. No one said anything. We were all terrified at the thought that it might work. Especially Zoë since she did live in the house.

"Hello?" Calum stuttered, unsure of what he said was right. No one moved, no one tried to move the hair-tie.

"Are you a female?" Chloe asked.

The hair-tie started to move to the 'no'.

"You're moving it!" Zoë laughed at Chloe.

"No I'm not I swear!"

"Are you guys?" Zoë's voice was shaky.

"Nope" Calum answered, he looked fine.

"Ashton?" Chloe looked at me.

"No" I had the trouble finding words.

"What's your name?" Zoë asked.

"B-U-T-T" Chloe read out loud. Calum began to laugh.

"Calum stop before I strangle you!" Chloe cried as she slapped his shoulder.

"Sorry" he laughed, "that was the only time though".

"What's your name?" Zoë repeated.

The hair-tie moved to the letter 'J'. Zoë looked at Chloe, who's eyes were focused on the board. Her eyes filled with excitement yet terrified.

"Jack," Chloe whispered. "That was his name"

"How'd you die?" Calum asked, suddenly interested in all of this.

The hair-tie moved to the 'GoodBye'.

"No wait! How'd you die?" Chloe asked loudly.

The hair-tie landed on the 'F', "f-e-l-l" it spelled out.

"The owner said no one died here." Zoë quickly said.

"Apparently someone did..."Calum quietly laughed. Either one of us was playing with our heads or this was real. If only someone asked the "ghost" to do something. I debated whether I should say or do something, but decide to stay quiet.

Our fingers circled around the board and went back to 'Goodbye'. Chloe groaned. The candle got blown out. Making Zoë gasp, scoot closer to me. Everything had felt awkward, every time we our bodies accidentally brushed against each others it felt... Electric? It felt so right, yet so wrong. Chloe picked up the board and folded it up as much as she could. I placed my hands in my lap.

"Where can I throw this away?" Chloe asked getting up from her spot on the floor.

"In the kitchen trash can is fine" Zoë answered. Once Chloe left the room Calum let out a long sigh.

"Did you believe that?" He asked us.

"Not really" I answered.

Zoë shrugged, "it was kind of stupid, it didn't seem real."

"You were scared though" I smiled.

"Yeah because everything seemed spookier" she laughed, flipping her hair behind her shoulder. She rested her head on my left arm.

I stiffened a bit, and Calum coughed. Zoë shut her eyes.

"It's getting late, I should go" Calum said, stretching and getting up.

"Bye callie-poo" Zoë teased. He laughed as he exited.

Chloe came back announcing her mom wanted her back for dinner. Leaving me and Zoë alone on the floor of her room. Zoë got up and tossed the candle in the trash. Then came back to her spot next to me.

"Your arm is very warm and comfy" she laughed closing her eyes again.

"Thanks?" I laughed.

"Thanks for...I dunno beating Brock up?" She said unsure of her words.

"Anytime" I laughed. She sounded sleepy, "are you tired?"

"A little" she yawned.

"I'll just go so you can get sleep you have a big day tomorrow" I was about to get up before she pulled me back down with her.

"No, stay, I like when you're here" she said. I rested my head on top of hers. She smelled like vanilla.

Zoë got a little closer and more comfortable. She started humming to 'Cosmic Love'. Before talking again.