Chapter 26

• Venované All those who have lost a loved one, or those who have passed trying to help, or

•ASHTON'S POV•

The day and night went by quick, and before I knew it the senior class was sitting out in the scorching sun, along with families and relatives. The stupid strings bothered me and kept moving in my face. Along with that I was starting to sweat and it seemed like the girl talking just wouldn't shut the fuck up.

Next would be Zoe and she would be reciting her speech, and no matter how many times I've heard the speech I couldn't wait to hear it the next. The girl was finally finished. When Zoe stepped up to the podium there were many cheers and claps for her.

"Like Dr.Suess said 'Today is your day, you're off to great places, you're off and away!" She ended her speech. Many people cheered and clap.

In a nutshell her speech mainly talked about how most of us have been together since kindergarten, making memories ever since, and that today should be another memory. A cherished memory.

She said, "you know the future is coming when you start getting scared, you know something is gonna happen not good or bad. We should try and make it as far as we can and the sky isn't the limit reach for something more"

"You have brains in your head, feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. Today isn't the end it the beginning and we should make it count"

It was one of the best speeches from the three other honor students and the valedictorian. There was a graduation after party being held in the cafeteria for the students only. And the people around me could stop talking about it.

"I'm sweating" Calum looked back at me, he was siting in the row in front of me, due to the whole alphabetical order seating. Once we got our stuff we got to sit where we wished. And the principal gave one last speech.

Just thinking about the end of graduation made my stomach do sumersaults. I couldn't believe it was rapidly ending. Our whole high school life. It didn't matter anymore what someone was wearing. Or who someone was dating. All that was in everyone's minds was their future.

The rest of the speeches couldn't even be compared to Zoe's. They all sounded like a teacher trying their best to sound like a student. Zoe's was the one that actually made sense and was inspiring and it was just amazing!

They started calling names in the order. Cameras flash started going off like crazy once they started calling the names.

"Ashton Irwin" I filed behind the other students. Making my way up the steps trying my best not to trip. I made my way to the first vice principal and shook his sweaty hand. Then the other vice principals and guidance counselors. Which I never talked to as much as the other kids. I grabbed my diploma shook one more hand and posed for a picture with the principal.

Then quickly made my way to my seat. Many voices called out congratulating me as I sat down.

It took about an hour to the the same thing over and over again. Then finally the principal finished his speech.

The moment I didn't want to come. We all gathered around in a tight group. I found Zoe, Calum and Chloe and stood next to them.

The photographer counted down to three, when we all threw our caps up in the air. Some higher than the others. We grabbed the one that came towards us. I expected it to be mine. It was a touching moment. It being our last moment together as seniors.

We all hugged each other. Our moms found us each of them bawling their eyes out. My mom ran to me and hugged me tight.

"My babies growing up" she sniffled.

"Mom, you're gonna make me cry"

"Im sorry sweetie-" her voice cracked and she started to cry again. Zoe's mom came and congratulated me. Zoe and Chloe's dad both tried to act as if they didn't want to cry, or they didn't need to. Chloe's brother was teasing her as always. And everything seemed right. Everyone was happy and I wasn't worrying about anything and neither were the rest of us. And I wished this moment would last forever.

"Ashton you're so grown up now I remember when you were this tall" Zoe's sister, Britney walked towards me putting her hand about mid-stomach, showing how tall I was when she last saw me. Which was about in 7th grade.

"Yeah, and I remember you would never ever let us eat pizza" I laughed, and recalled all the times shed babysit me and Zoe and would make some sandwiches instead of buying, what we always wanted, pizza.

"Y'all were annoying. 'I want pizza!' 'No Brit we want pizzas not peanut butter sandwiches!'" She clearly remember too.

Since Britney and Chloe's brother were about the same age they began conversing. I walked over to Zoe who was talking to her sister along with Chloe's brother.

"There's Ashton!" Chloe's brother waved at me.

"How does it feel?" He asked.

"The same" I answered, he nodded and laughed.

"I remember going to the after party and me and my group of friends got drunk and I remember Eric getting high it was so fun" Britney and Eric (Chloe's brother) reminisced about their teenage memories.

"That's great" Zoe replied, almost in a "not caring" tone, "I remember you coming home and getting in a shitload of trouble cause of it"

"The dark times" Britney jokingly said, shaking her head.

We all took a few pictures before our parents decided to leave. Calum suggested we go to the hill that was a couple streets away. Since the sun was setting and the hill had a perfect view of the small town. And it was a beautiful sight.

Once we got there, Zoe sat all by herself, we decided to leave her alone as the three of us discussed the graduation.

"Oh my god!" Chloe almost laughed, the sky was now a purple and orange with a hint of blue and pink, "is Zoe crying?!"

I looked over at Zoe, she had her knees up to her chest, and resting her chin on her knees while wrapping her arms around her calfs.

You could see the tears glistening as they rolled down her cheeks. We all piled around her and hugged her which made her cry even more.

"I'm so excited, but I'm so scared." She spoke but it barely came out as a whisper.

Chloe and Calum sat down beside her while I kept hugging her. I just seemed to not let go and she was okay with it. And the it was all alright. She rested her head on my chest as we all stayed in silence and watched the sun go down.