Chapter 27

Graduation was so much better then prom. No of us fought, the girls didn't get into problems, and there was no guy to worry about. And I was also closer to Zoë, and didn't have to worry about Luke. We were still on the hill, and the small town was lit up. There were bunch of cars heading towards the school. We decided to stay there for a few, before going home to change. Right now, I think we all just wanted to relax.

"Here lets all take a picture" Chloe offered.

Zoe was calmed down but I was still there comforting her. Even though she really didn't need it. We all huddled up by Chloe. She turned the flash on her phone and it blinded each one of us momentarily that all I could see we're figures.

"My eyes look so bloodshot" Zoe pointed out as she pulled Chloe's phone out of her hands to zoom in on her eyes.

"Maybe it's that long cry you just took" Calum said. Which caused both Chloe and Zoe to send him a death glare. I knew better then to comment and Calum should've also.

"If I could just lay down here forever with no worries I would" Zoe said laying back in the grass and staring at the appearing stars.

"Same" Chloe replied, doing the laying down on her stomach. And looking out to the dark horizon of light turned one in almost everyone house in this small town. Soon we were all laying down in our own little ways.

"You know what's funny, we've actually obsessed more about Chelsea's party than this party which actually seems more important then a stupid party where everyone is gonna end up throwing up and fighting" Chloe spoke, breaking the short silence.

But she was right, this graduation party was actually more important and I wish I could've thought of it that was more. But I couldn't seem to. The girls were certain that the party was going to be "casual attire", after a long hour of one phone call after another. Which lifted a lot of weight off their shoulders. I was fine with it since I didn't have to wear that damn tux again. They settled on what they were gonna wear, but I think we all knew they were gonna make some last minute changes on it. Last night was literally the night we actually talked about the graduation party. We decided on going as a group instead of each others dates. To avoid some drama that had come along in the past.

"We need to go back soon and get ready, you guys are keeping track of time too right?" Calum propped himself up on his elbows and looked at us.

"Yeah" the three of us replied in unison.

"Why do we keep talking about that party, I understand its important and all, but I was finally feeling worry free. And just talking about it is giving me all these feeling and I don't want to worry about anything tonight, at least not here not now" Zoe finally spoke. Giving us her opinion. Which we all listened to we stayed quiet for her. Scared that we were gonna say something to get her even more irritated and worried.

***

Couple minutes later three of us got up. While Zoe stayed on the grass, the same position she had been for the past thirty minutes.

"Zoe we have to go" I told her.

"Mhm" she nodded. Not bothering to say actual words or look at me.

"Zoe I'm serious"

She nodded again.

"That's it" I sighed, I scooped her up into my arms. Which was fairly easy, and realized what happened and she clung onto my neck to keep from falling and tumbling down the hill.

"Ashton put me down!" She demanded. Chloe and Calum stood by my moms car which she kindly left as she car pooled with Zoe's family. Chloe took advantage of the moment and distance and took a picture of me carrying my dear, stubborn, friend bridal style down a hill.

"Nope" I laughed, and she attempted to kick me, but the position made it impossible for her,

"Ashton I'm serious, I'm gonna kick your fucking face if you don't put me down I can walk on my own" she wasn't laughing at all, while I was cracking up.

"You're so mean to me, I'm helping you not walk all that way, you should be thankful to have a friend like me" I laughed.

Once we made it to the car I gently put her down and she punch my arm as hard as she could, which hurt like hell. She climbed in the back with Chloe while us boys sat in the front. I plugged my phone in and began to play some music so the ride didn't feel so lonely and silent. Chloe was the first one to get off, we decided to call each other once we were all ready, which for me and Calum shouldn't take so long. Then went Calum, who lived fairly close to Chloe if you knew which streets to take to make your drive more shorter.

"Why didn't Luke come to graduation?" I blurted out, as Zoe climbed into the passenger seat next to me.

She sighed,"why would he? It's not like we're dating or anything"

That made me a little happy, "oh I just thought since you were so close for the past few days, hours really"

"He has more important things to do Ashton, he's basically an adult and has doesn't need to waste his time on a childish graduation" it hurt how she called it childish. She wasn't so mature herself, I badly wanted to reminded her about her little episode on the walk down the hill. But I knew what was best, so I kept my mouth shut.

"Did he say that?" I asked her, afraid he said something to make her feel bad about her age.

"No! No! Of course not! I just assumed he would think that" she shrugged.

"Do you want to date him?" I blurted out again. Honestly I don't know why, my brain and my mouth were on two different pages apperantly. I didn't want to know the answer to that, and regretted it badly. I knew she was gonna say the opposite that I wanted to hear.

"As my friend, my BEST friend, you won't tell anyone. Not even Luke that I said this, don't even mention it don't even think about it"

Oh god. My stomach churned. I really didn't want to hear, because I might flip out.

"I do like him, I like him a lot. And I wish I knew that he liked me like I like him. I wish he wouldn't see me as a child if he did. Because I really really really like him I-" she started.

"I get it Zoe you really like him" I was afraid I sounded a bit rude to her when I cut her off. But it's not my fault I didn't want to hear her explain to me how much she likes him. Each word felt like a knife being plunged into me and it hurt badly. I desperately wished she knew how it felt.

I wanted to punch something. Someone. Luke.

But I had to keep calm. My grip tightened around the steering wheel causing my knuckles to go white. Thankfully she didn't notice.

"It's so hard to like some, who doesn't even like you back. At least someone who you don't even know likes you back" she sighed.

"Tell me about it" I muttered.

Thank god, we made it to our houses before she could say anymore. I quickly made sure we got out of the car before she could speak about Luke anymore. Because I was completely done seeing him or hearing about him. I wish she would understand but she won't and probably never will.

Inside my home, it was empty. And my mom couldn't possibly be at work. So I figured she was next door. I made my way to my room and pulled out a pair of skinny jeans, which Chloe and Zoe claimed made my butt and legs look nice. I laughed at the thought of the conversation they had when they took both me and Calum shopping.

Then I pulled out a plain "muscle" shirt. The school got really hot this time of year, and we weren't at school anymore so I really didn't give a shit.

Hearing the name Luke really got me in a bad mood. And I laughed at how much I actually loathed him.

___________________________