Chapter 35

-Zoe's POV-

"So why'd you decide to come Michael?" Luke asked his friend. We were in the living room and it was dark and foggy. It was hard to hear them over the loud music.

"Chloe called, and I was bored so I came" He shrugged. Chloe came back and sat down next to him, she handed him a red plastic cup and he immediately took a sip out of it.

"So are you and Zoë like a thing?" Michael asked Luke, signally towards me with his cup. Luke looked at me unsure what to say. Michaels eyes then fixed on me, waiting for an answer.

"Michael, lets dance" Chloe took his hand.

The drink sloshed out of Michaels cup, he took a long sip and set it down before going with Chloe.

I turned to Luke who had his eyes fixed down on his cup.

"What are we Luke?" I asked him. His blue eyes fixed on mine, opening his mouth to say something. Just when I thought he was gonna say something my phone began ringing.

I flipped it over, the screen practically lit up the room. It was Ashton's mom.

"Shit" I muttered, quickly running outside so she wouldn't hear the music. I reached far down the street, by then she had left a voicemail. I didn't bother listening to it. The phone rang three times before she picked up.

"Hello Zoë" She greeted cheerfully.

"Hi,"

"Is Ashton there by any chance he's not picking up his phone?" Her tone of voice changed rapidly.

"Um..." I hesitated, "he actually just left with Calum to the movie store. They probably have the music turned up all the way, they can't hear"

"I swear those boys.." She laughed, "thank you anyway sweetie."

"No problem" We said our goodbyes and she hung up. I began walking back.

The music grew louder, outside a few people were smoking and others we just outside by themselves. Luke was still on the couch.

"Who was it?" He asked, handing me back my red cup.

"Ashton's mom" I answered.

He nodded, "I thought about the question"

"And..."

"I don't know, what do you want us to be?"

I sighed, what did I want us to be. I really liked him but was it too soon?

"I know your parents don't like me" he smiled, "and neither do your friends, so if we were to... date, no one would really approve. And you're too young for me."

"Too young?" I chuckled, "we're three years apart"

He stays silent. We both do.

"I know that was a shit excuse, its the fact that literally all your friends and family seem to hate me" He says nnervously

"Who cares what they think, I've lived my whole life caring about what everyone thinks. I want things to be different. Especially with you and me." I said.

Before he could answer a hyper Melissa came our way.

"Zoë finally! You have to come see this" She grabbed my wrist and started pulling me up.

"Can't it wait, I was just talking to-"

"You can go its fine" Luke said.

I let Melissa drag me to wherever the hell she was taking me to. When we arrived two drunk figures were dancing on the table. They were dancing horribly and sexually with each other. I didn't see what was so important or exciting that Melissa had to drag me all the way over here. The way they were dancing was giving me second-hand embarrassment.