Chapter 31

ASHTON'S POV

I felt bad leaving Zoë by herself, but I was to damn embarrassed to talk to her for a while. Why did I kiss her? I mean it was the forehead, but still, I never did that before and it felt weird. I'm gonna sound cliché but it was a good weird.

I wish I could experience that feeling everyday. That I could kiss her and hold her everyday without anyone making a big deal out of it.

My footsteps echoed in the school hallway. As I walked to another part of the hallway I saw a silhouette of a couple kissing. I looked away, not even bothering to see who it could be. It was dark, the only light actually shinning was the one coming from the moon through the big double door that led you to the courtyard. I wanted to walk outside to the courtyard to get around campus, to clear my mind. But I knew many people were gonna be there. And by many people it was the drunk and high people. Meaning, Chloe was gonna be a part of the small but big group, so if I were to walk through I would have to put up with her shit. I turned left, hoping there would be some sort of shortcut.

My phone rang in my pocket. I pulled it out and it brightened the hallway up.

From: Zoë

Why'd you leave, I look like a loner thanks a lot :p

I stood in the middle of the half lit hallway figuring out what I was gonna say. If she wasn't stressing out then is shouldn't stress out.

To Zoë:

Oh sorry, I'll be there soon

I made my way down the hallway, deciding to take the long way to the gym. It was dark and eerie, walking the hallways in the dark, with no student life to liven up the dull empty walls and hallway.

The music was getting louder as I got closer, I could feel the door slam behind me but I couldn't hear it. I looked around the gym. The red and blue lights made it hard to find someone.

"Hey Zoë" I spoke into the phone when the ringing stopped.

"Hey" I could barely hear her over the music.

"Where are you?" I asked looking around the room.

"Ok you see Desiree and Kyle?" She asked me.

I paused for a moment until I spotted the two people talking to each other, gladly they weren't making out. I noticed Zoë behind them and began to make my way over. I sat in the chair across from her.

I set the phone down on the table and so did she. I crossed my fingers on my lap hoping she wouldn't bring up anything that had happened earlier today.

"Where did Calum go?" She asked me.

"I actually don't know" I laughed, running my hand through my hair.

"Should we ditch the party, or do you wanna stay or the whole thing?" I asked her

"Whatever you want is fine with me" She smiled, sitting up in her seat.

***

Twenty minutes later we ended up in the 300 hundred building hallway. The hallway where most senior classes were. She ran her finger along the, now clean, bare walls. The hallway, like every other one on campus, was dark and eerie. Little like from the moon or the light post outside barely shone. So we walked in the darkness. We both seemed to enjoy it.

We exited the building and into the courtyard. There were three groups each located on different corners of the courtyard. They were small groups, made up of the people that were either too cool to be inside or the "druggies". There were couples sitting up on the tables, or people by themselves trying to get out of the loud noise. But it really didn't make a difference, if you really wanted to be in peace and quiet they should've either left or went up to the field.

Calum was one of those couples that was sitting on the tables, along next to him was a girl. She looked very familiar, but I couldn't tell where I knew her from.

"Hey guys" Calum waved at us. Zoe made her way towards both of them, and I followed.

"Who's your friend?" Zoe asked, a smirk played her lips. Its been almost a year since Calum had been single.

"This is Carla, I think you know her, she works at the frozen yogurt place."

Oh shit.

Either I thought I told Calum about the whole "Carla thing", or I did tell him but he forgot.

Either way I was screwed.

"Hi" She shyly waved at us.

"I thought you didn't go to this school?" Zoe asked.

"Oh I don't, one of my friends, Jason, he asked me to be his date. But he's somewhere smoking weed" She chuckled, waving her hand in the air.

Zoe nodded understandingly. I stared at Calum who was literally so happy he had found a girl to talk to. A girl other than Chloe and Zoe.

"This town, all they do is drugs, sex, and alcohol" Zoe said looked down at his shoes.

"Speaking alcohol, have you seen Chloe?" Calum asked.

"No, why?" I spoke.

"Just wondering I haven't seen or heard from her since you left for the track" Calum told us.

"Hopefully she didn't do something stupid" Zoe muttered. A phone beeped and the four of us checked to see if it was ours.

"Oh, I have to go, it was nice meeting y'all" Carla looked up at us and flashed a smile. We all said bye and Zoe immediately turned to Calum.

"You like her" she teased poking his stomach.

Calum blushed, "shut up Zoe"

"I'm gonna go look for Chloe" He climbed off the table before Zoe could tease him anymore.

"Don't you like Carla?" Zoe turned to me taking a seat on the table placing her feet on the bench.

"I did" I quickly said, "I guess it was one of those crushes that come and go"

I took a seat next to her.

"Does it bother you?" She continued.

"Bother me that he likes Carla? No not at all, like I said I didn't like her for long" I didn't like her at all, at any time of my life. I felt terrible lying to Zoe, but if I told the truth we probably wouldn't be friends. I literally couldn't win either way.