Chapter 10

"I think we're gonna be the cutest couple" she teased.

"Oh yes" I laughed, I was completely fine with everything until now. Thoughts kept fogging up my mind. Most of those included how Zoë was acting. 99.9% was sure that this was just her, this has always been her. But the small part left was thinking about how she could like me.

I knew I would hear non-stop from Calum (and maybe Chloe) about how Zoë was acting.

"I can't believe were graduating this week" she picked at her nails. She was getting nervous from just talking about it.

"We're not kids anymore" I sighed, wrapping my arm around her shoulders. My brain had caught up with my actions and I pulled back. She looked at me, then back at the carpet.

We spent most the afternoon talking about the dance. I soon left getting a call from my mom telling me dinner is ready.

After we ate, I headed straight to the shower. Then to my bed. I flipped through the channels, and landed on 'Futurama'.

As I got comfortable in bed my phone started to ring. Calum. I groaned knowing how this conversation was gonna go.

"Hello" I answered.

"Hey, how'd things with Zoë go after we left?" I somehow knew he was smiling and his eyes were filled with curiosity when he spoke.

"What do you mean 'how things went'?"

"Like you know what happened"

"We talked" I said. Calum was acting as if this was the first time me and Zoë had ever made contact, and it began to annoy me.

"I think she's into you, and now that Brock's out of the way..." His voice trailed off.

"Why Calum? Why?" I laughed.

"Ok Ashton, you like her. And you'll never know if she likes you if you don't do anything"

"I'd rather not know then live with the feeling of rejection from my best friend." I replied.

There was silence between the both of us for a while, "well, um, I gotta go bye". I said quickly hanging up.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. As I shut my eyes I thought about how tomorrow was gonna go.

Hopefully well. I desperately wanted Calum to understand why I couldn't date Zoë. I wish he could step in my shoes and see how hard it was with someone like him, pressuring you to ask the girl you like out which was also your best friend.

***

I woke up later then usual. The seniors got today off to get ready for the dance. The staff was getting the gym ready, and getting themselves ready.

I showered and changed into gym shorts. I walked over to the window to see if Zoë was awake. She wasn't. Downstairs mom was once again frantically running around.

"You need to wake up earlier" I laughed once I reached the bottom step.

"Shh shh shh, where the hell are my glasses?!" She ran around the living room, making a huge mess with the couch pillows.

"Help me look I'm really really late!"

I chuckled to myself as I jogged into the kitchen, I looked in the fruit bowl filled with plastic fruits. Her glasses were messily placed in between a pear and banana.

"Mom!" I yelled she looked at me from the bookshelf by the tv. I tossed the glasses close to her. They landed on the floor next to her feet. She picked them up and rushed out the door.