Chapter 49

I logged down the three customers that came, and bought something like Maggie had ordered me to. I grabbed a book from one of the further shelves in the store. The book immediately reminded me of a sixties version of 13 year-old Chloe. The girl Anne in the story, shoplifts everyday after school, from the pharmacy down the street for where she lived. So far she hasn't gotten caught. Anyway, when Chloe was 13 her parents had a whole bunch of stupid petty arguments. It's was a bad time for Chloe so I guess she wanted attention. She told me she didn't want to do anything extreme, but stealing was pretty extreme. I mean, it wasn't big things it was little things like makeup and candy. Things no one would really notice or be suspicious of. She would grab what she needed, and put it in her pockets then she would go into the bathrooms and neatly hide the items in her shirt. She never got caught so she never received the attention she wanted, which pressured her to keep on doing it.

I was the only one that knew. Not Ashton. Not Calum. Not no one. Just me. Which if you ask me it's a big burden to carry around because she did do it more then once. I had momentarily forgotten about it until I picked up the book. What drove her to stop, I don't really know... At least she didn't do it anymore, that's really all that mattered right?

A few more customers walked in. They suddenly noticed Maggie wasn't in, causing me to explain to each and every customer why and when I think she'll would return. It was the same routine every customer that walked through those doors. It would be easier if they just all came in at once or in groups at least so I didn't have to keep repeating myself. It seemed like every time one walked in the other walked out. I wasn't completely ecstatic about being stuck here but it was better then being at home by myself. I want to exclude Ashton from the equation because I felt as if I were annoying him by being to clingy. Also I didn't have to deal with Calum and Chloe's constant bickering or gossip. So this, right now, was basically paradise for me.

I enjoyed being alone, especially in store filled with books. But all the constant night I had to spend by myself and dinners I had to cook for myself drove me a bit nuts. Which is why I always had someone around me. I can't stand being alone, but I enjoy every second of solitude I can get. But I wasn't always alone, like, my parents would come home if they weren't on call. Most nights they weren't, they just decided to sleep in the hospital. Which was offensive to me, because when they did decided to sleep in their own bed they would leave at 4 in the morning so I could a least catch their foot or hand or article of clothing as they left the house. I didn't want to be a doctor. Coming from a long line of doctors I was pretty much forced into it. But breaking the chain seemed selfish to me in a way. It was rebellion that sort of kept me off those same footsteps. And the fear of failing and disappointing my family.

"Do you have any Shakespeare?" A young girl stood in front of me, her eyes were impatient. I looked up from my book. She was tall, but still had a childish face. My best guess was she was about fourteen.

"I would think so" I answered.

"Well I practically scanned this store from bookshelf to bookshelf and nothing" She was sounding even angrier then before. What was I supposed to do?! It wasn't like I had spent my life looking at these shelfs and knowing where and book was placed. It looks bad on my part but Maggie never trained me or anything she just left the keys and left.

"It could be in the higher shelves" I muttered, pushing the stool from under me. I walked to one of the shelves giving it my best guess. I stepped onto the ladder. My eyes scanned the shelf until I finally found his name.

"What are you looking for sweetie?"

"Romeo and Juliet" She answered. Of course she was.

I was in the process of tidying up the shelves when I heard someone enter.

"Sorry we're closed" I said, my back still turned to them.

"But there's no sign" The person spoke, clearly a man.

"I'm about to put it out there" I turned to face the person. Of course, out of all human beings it had to be Luke. Why is it when I thinks it's the last I see of them they always end up popping up out of nowhere. Cons of living in such a small town.

"Can't I just browse?" He asked.

"Nope, it's store policy" I lied, "you should just leave"

"Cool, just push me away like that" He said. Walking towards me as I made my way behind the counter to see if I logged the sales correctly.

"Seriously leave, there's nothing to see, nothing to talk about" I gritted my teeth.

"Are you seriously still upset over what I said to you at the party?"

Oh no, I totally wasn't I mean it not like he pulled me in just to let me go and fall afterwards.

"Give me one reason to not be uspet?"

"You seemed like you had gotten over it when you were fucking Chris" His hands gripped the edge of the counter turning his knuckles a ghostly white.

"But I was drunk and probably drugged, you were sober and fully aware of your surroundings when you..." I tried to think of something to say that didn't sound vulgar, " did it with Carol"

This fight was totally useless he wasn't gonna say sorry. And I had no reason to apologize so why should I? It wasn't fair the argument he was bringing. He made me sound like a bad guy when he was the one who agreed to come to the party. Just to 'dump' me. It was such a dick move how could anyone forget it let alone forgive him for it.

It sucks when you fall for someone just to see that they were just messing with your emotions the whole time. Having your hopes set so high because you think you might really like this boy. That this boy will be good for you. That you two could be the couple everyone is envious of. Instead they break your heart in two then stomp on it as it pulling it out of you chest and breaking it in half wasn't enough. Luke really meant a lot to me. I fought with my parents and my friends just for him. He saw me fight for him. I tried to prove to everyone he was a good guy. And just because he looked intimidating from the outside didn't mean he was a horrible person on the inside as well. But I just ended up making a fool of myself.

"Can you just leave?" I asked once again.

"No I can't Zoe, I just need you to out that in your past"
"So you can feel good about it! Like you weren't the bad guy because we buried the hatchet!"

"Leave Luke I swear to god I don't want to see you anywhere near me or any of my friends!"

"Zoe" He said, staring into my eyes. I wasn't going to forgive him, not now not ever.