14: Resolution and evolution

"You wanted to help, is that correct?" the old man's voice asks. "Yes. I couldn't turn my back on him. He saved me after all" you answer. "And it was out of your own will, not out of the thought of debt?" You stop to think. "I... I do that to everyone else back at home, even if they don't ever help me." "So you put others before you but still seek for power?" You shake your head. "Yeah, you might be right but now I'm mostly thinking about him. I want to become stronger so that I can fight beside him and see that he never has to go through that pain again. I want to be with him, not for his sake but for mine, because it feels like something important I've lost inside me is coming back."

Your surroundings turn to light and you notice you're suddenly sitting down on a chair. "So which form do you wish your strength would take if you were given the strength?" You close your eyes and part your lips just a bit before speaking. "I've felt this burning passion inside me every time I felt like I had to protect his vessel, but now even if I feel that, I'm constantly growing weak. I used to be able to beat a Mega-level digimon without a scratch but now I'm not even able to aim with Berenjena. The strength I wish for... It's growth. Growth so that I can fight in unison with the Demon Lord as he grows. So that my power will match his and we could fight all the darkness together. So when the time comes, me and Gluttony only needed to combine our strength into one which grows inside us the more we bond."

Now the surroundings turn into a children's playroom. "This strength you talk of... You wish for it to take the form of a bond to the Demon Lord? I think you surely understand that bonds can be broken." You nod. "I'm sure." The voice stays silent for a while. "You're willing to take this choice, even if you know the Demon Lord digimon are evil at heart. Very well. You are to earn the favors of Purity and Love, having Purity represent you and your truest desires, whereas Love shall bind you two together. But be aware that tainting these favors will bring you nothing more but destruction and degeneration of your power."

A bright light dazzles you and the surrounding room changes into a dark tunnel. At the end there's a dark room with a wood-rimmed red velvet couch. "Follow the tunnel and wait for the Demon Lord's vessel there. As you reunite, feel free to take the time to talk." You sit down on the couch, trying to get a grasp of the surroundings, but for naught. It's so dark the only thing you're able to see is the couch and your skin along with your clothes. "Hello?" you say but it only echoes in the silence. You curl up on yourself for feeling lonely admist the darkness.

You hear steps nearing you and you raise your head. "Wizardmon..." you mutter. He sits next to you but keeps a normal distance since he feels still a little bit awkward. "How'd it go for you?" he asks. You look at him smiling. "I think I got my answers." He looks down. "I see. Did you gain any favors?" You grab his hand. "We gained one. And I gained one for myself." He looks at you. "Which ones?" "The one that binds us together... It's the favor of Love, and as for mine, it's Purity." He blushes a little, turning his hand so he can hold yours too.

"I gained Kindness. But I heard that my current memories and personality are just restored versions of the Demon Lord's. It means that I'm just... an empty shell for the Demon Lord... How can I still think of being my own person after hearing that..." You yank him into a tight hug. "You are your own person, Wizardmon. The only thing that differs you from the other digimon is that you have the spirit of the Demon Lord within you that binds together with your own personality as you grow. The memories are a great help for us during our adventure and when you grow up to evolve into the Demon Lord's form, you'll still be you, but you're the Demon Lord too. Remember what you were like as an Impmon?"

He thinks for a moment before answering. "You're right. I was reckless, mean and self serving and I learned from it, becoming who I'm now." You smile. "Yeah, it's still been you after all. But still the more you evolve, the more you'll gain the Demon Lord's characteristics like you're affected by his personality day by day, but it will still be you. For example, try what happens if you act based on your whims." He grabs your chest. "Like this?" You tense up for being surprised. "W-well that's close to what the Demon Lord would've done but it's too crude. But yes, follow your instincts and your whims." You stop to think. I suppose I wouldn't be against this one becoming the actual Demon Lord though, but I still want Gluttony... You both fall silent and wake up from beneath the tree like you were - except for Wizardmon is glowing as his head still lays on your laps.

His form changes into something taller. His clothes change into a white long robe with talismans all over it and under the robe he's wearing white baggy pants, a white tanktop and on his right arm a long sleeve and his vest turned black with sleeves, the black sleeve reaching down to his elongated left arm's wrist which has some sort of a metal plate. His overalls are decorated with brown leather straps here and there. On his head, the hat turns into blue wraps around it and his hair shortens a little, leaving a messy blonde emo kind of hair. His mouth and nose are now hidden under a black fabric respirator.

He never let go of your hand while evolving.