Chapter 12

I closed my eyes and listened. The wind whipped past me as I fell, whistling away. The wind had always provided me comfort.

Always?

When had it before?

Always...

My mind began to drift, as if it were a dandelion seed carried on the breeze. I could just barely remember. The faintest image of myself and someone else began to form in my head. We were flying...

  Just then, I felt two strong arms wrap around me. I opened my eyes to see Loki. He looked down at me, a smirk playing on his lips.

   "Hello, darling." He said, wrapping his arms around my waist. "What a coincidence meeting you here." He pulled my body closer to his and in the next instant we were on top of the tower.

   "Hey!" I fumed, pushing away from him. "What'd you do that for?!" He raised an eyebrow.

   "Did you just expect me to let you fall to your death?" He inquired. I summoned my wings, fanning them out to their full length.

   "I have these, remember?" I quizzed. He nodded.

   "I didn't forget. But would you really have used them? I've seen inside your head. I know what you just barely keep yourself from doing." I looked down at my feet. "You would have let yourself fall to your doom, wouldn't you?"

   "I-I..." I stuttered. I didn't know what to say. What could I say? He was right. He was always right. "I didn't really care. Live or die, it's hell. If my wings decided to save me, so be it. If they didn't, oh well." I looked back up at him. His eyes were searching. You could see how my words were reflecting some of his own pain. Then something unexpected happen. He hugged me. Loki hugged me. The great God of Mischief himself.

   I rested my head against his chest. I could hear his heartbeat. It was so comforting. When you dream, you can't hear a heartbeat. I've learned that. That's how I distinguish dreams and reality. Different sound, seeing time, tasting. But Loki. Loki was real. Thank the gods he was real. I closed my eyes and just listened. Listened to his heart. It made me feel safe. That's how I knew he was good. He made me feel safe.