He could see the human-size idols of Shiv, Parvati and Ganesh seated in the prayer hall. This pooja was the precursor to Ganesh Chaurthi puja that was going to take place a couple weeks later. Below the main idols, there was a much smaller joint idol of Shiv-Parvati. This was probably the idols, which his Kalyani Dadi had told them about back home. 

"Gauri, the clothes and ornaments you made are beautiful. but the color scheme....its unusual, pretty but unusual, blue and yellow?" asked Maithili Dadi.

"Blue because Shivji is Neelkanth (the blue-necked one), and yellow because Maa Parvati is the goddess of prosperity and fertility" explained Gauri "And I might as well confess that yellow is my favorite color" giggled Gauri. 

And blue was his, thought Omkara. Was this a conscious choice for Gauri, or was he reading too much into it? Either way, he was glad. The clothes did look beautiful, and his artist's objective eyes admired how Gauri made this....unusual combination work. But even without that, he was biased in favor of anything his Gauri did. Omkara smiled, in pride, as others complimented Gauri too. 

The pooja was about to begin, and Maithili Dadi, beckoned him forward. 

"What were you doing skulking in the back? Come, come, you have to take place beside your wife. All married couples should participate in this pooja together, for their fates are joint" said Maithili Dadi, as she gestured them to their places, and walked ahead to take her place as the matriarch of the setting.

Omkara and Gauri looked at each other worried, about the deception they were playing on the family. Gauri especially found it hard, because she was sitting before her favorite gods and playing out a lie. Shankarji! You know the truth, there is no lie in our hearts. Please, forgive us for this, thought Gauri. 

Omkara saw Gauri shutting her eyes, and frowning in concentration. She was most probably striking her deal with her Shankarji about this farce. Omkara felt bad but not as bad as her. After all, to him religious activities mattered less. As far as he knew or cared, their divorce wasn't finalized yet, there was time for that, so technically they were still married, he wasn't totally lying. Gauri, of course, didn't care for those papers when she signed them, she had told him so that only a wedding before her Shankarji mattered to her, so for her this was definitely a heavy lie. 

Omkara elbowed her slightly to hint, that they both sit down to pooja. Gauri nodded her head, and they both took their place with the rest of the devotees. Soon, Gauri was absorbed in the proceedings of the prayer, while Omkara's mind fluttered in various directions: trying to capture the image of communal devotion in his mind to bring it out on paper later, observing Gauri, thinking about what time they should start out for Mumbai tomorrow, observing Gauri, thinking about fest and whether all their instructions were carried out correctly, observing Gauri, admiring Gauri's handiwork and thinking of all the hard work she put in, observing Gauri,...finally Omkara gave up thinking about other things, and just observed Gauri covertly from the corner of eyes. 

After the havan was completed, Maithili Dadi signaled everyone to get up for the aarti. First she, then her sons, then her married grandsons, and other relatives did the aarti. Then she turned to Omkara and Gauri, and gestured them to do the aarti next. Omkara held the lamp in his hand, and Gauri's fingers slowly closed on his, holding the lamp. They both did the aarti together. Some guests behind them whispered about how they made such an attractive couple. 

Omkara remembered last time he was so annoyed when someone had made a similar comment at the Kulgotra puja where they did the aarti together. But this time his annoyance, was replaced with a hint of gratification. Omkara smirked listening to them; whatever Maithili Dadi might hint about their age difference, they looked good together. 

"Why are you grinning like this?" asked Gauri, curiously, as she hadn't heard those people in the back commenting about them.

"Nothing, actually Gauri, tell me, I know yellow is your favorite color, but why choose blue?" asked Omkara, cocking an eyebrow. 

"Because....because like I told Dadi, Shivji is also known as Neelkanth..." replied Gauri, but Omkara cut her off.

"Is that the only reason?" he asked. 

Gauri blushed. 

"Arey Om bhaiyaa, we kids have to do the aarti too" said Avantika from behind, while the other kids giggled. 

Gauri looked like she wanted nothing better than hiding her face, but she decided to brazen it out. Omkara looked sheepish. 

After the pooja, the priests served them all prasad. 

Omkara looked at the prasad in his hand, he didn't like sweet much. 

"Have it Omkaraji, even if its sweet, its Gods gift" said Gauri. "And its best to break your fast with prasad."

Omkara ate it. They all had fasted before the pooja. Maithili Dadi had left no other option. Speaking of her, she gathered everyone around her to make an announcement. 

"Thank you for gracing me and my family, and joining us in this pooja. Now we invite you all to enjoy the fest. Let the fest commence" said Dadi loudly. 

Everyone eagerly moved out of the house, and into the huge grounds connected to the estate where the fest was going to be organized. Gauri was immediately pulled in a group of girls, led by Avantika, who nearly overran Omkara and the rest of the boys, in rushing to some stall in the fest. 

Ah, today was going to be a fun day, thought Omkara, half-sarcastically, half-exasperatedly.

*****************************

"Sumo, at least have a piece of toast" cajoled Rudra.

They were in Rudra's room. Soumya couldn't make herself have breakfast with others, she was too worried about meeting her biological mother, so Rudra took some food up with him to her room.

"Rudra, I can't. I'm getting jitters in my stomach" said Soumya.

"Thats because you haven't eaten anything since yesterday night in fear. What are you scared about?" asked Rudra.

"Rudra, that woman, never called my mother again, after giving her child, me, away to my Aaiee. She doesn't even know that I am coming. What if she doesn't remember that she gave birth to me? What if..." Soumya couldn't continue. 

"What if she rejects you?" asked Rudra. "Soumya, why are you worried about that? You have your Aaiee, and you have my Aaiee, as in my family too, which loves you. You have me as well. Why are you worried about rejection?" 

Soumya realized he was speaking sense, and she was probably panicking for no reason. She nodded her head slowly.

"Rudra, you.....you won't reject me, no? Whatever happens?" asked Soumya.

"Of course not Soumya, why would you say that? I would never leave you, and I mean that in a nice way, not in a stalkerish way, mind you" said Rudra.

Soumya laughed, and had some toast. 

She felt emboldened by Rudra's words and decided to buck up and face this meeting. 

"Best of luck" said Rudra, as he dropped her off at the apartment buildings where apparently her biological mother lived. 

"Thanks Rudra" said Soumya, and watched him drive away. 

Soumya took a deep breadth. She was ready.