20

flashbacks in italics.

The atmosphere in the red lion was tense as they coasted over the forest of Olkaria

The atmosphere in the red lion was tense as they coasted over the forest of Olkaria. Trip was staring out the side of the lion's head, eyes fixed on the city in the distance towering over the trees. Keith could feel anger pulsing off of her from the front seat.

Her helmet buzzed with the sounds of everyone talking. She wasn't a fan of this communication system sometimes. She could never find the off button when she wanted some peace and quiet. And when it wasn't on her head, she never knew if something important was happening. Olympian's were only on when someone held down a button. No nonsense chatter.

"Why can't a distress signal ever come from someplace cool?" Pidge complains over the helmets, "I hate the outdoors.'

Something whizzes past the lion's face, right past Trip's view. Her head lifts from resting on her fist and she takes a few steps closer to see what it was.

"I like it out here," Keith says and turns his head to see what the shuffling behind him was, "It's quiet."

Trip squints her eyes as she sees a few small dots down on the ground. They were moving. Maybe animals? As she sees them raising their arms and pointing up towards them, she realizes it's a possible threat.

"People!" She says urgently, "aiming at us! Get out of the line of fire!"

No one reacted fast enough, or maybe Trip didn't inform fast enough. Whatever the people were aiming at them had already been fired. Dozens of tiny glowing green dots were whizzing up at everyone. They didn't look like beams from a gun, and they were too small to be from any kind of canon. The only reasonable answer would be arrows. But that wouldn't do any damage to a lion.

She hears the small tink-ing of the arrows hitting the belly of the lion. Confusion covered Trip's face.

"Uh..." Keith looks around the sky in front of them for any threats, "are we being attacked?"

"I don't know," Shiro's voice comes from the helmets, "but something is pulling my lion to the ground."

As he said that, the red lion jerked and Trip stumbled back. She could feel gravity pulling them down as well.

"Something got us too," says Keith as he tried to pull up on the controls to get back up. But his struggling was doing nothing as they continued to descend. Trip Grabbed her sword off of her back, twisting the grip in her hand to get ready for whatever was below them.

It was a generally soft landing. Shiro ordered everyone to stay in the lions for a brief second. But Trip didn't put her weapon away.

Shiro's voice flooded the forest as he spoke through an intercom system from the Black Lion.

"We come in peace."

Trip and Keith were gazing down at the small group of people side by side from the front of the red lion. She tilts her head.