45

Alright, you suffered the angst piece. Here's a bit of comfort to balance it out.

The room was twisting and turning like someone had spun the planet like a top

The room was twisting and turning like someone had spun the planet like a top. Trip's uneven and slower footsteps probably gave away just how badly she'd been pushed around during the fight. She wanted to walk away feeling like a strong leader and like she did the right thing.

But she didn't feel like that. She'd spared his life like his husband had asked, like she wanted to. But at what cost? Would his new life be one he wanted to live, or had she just doomed him?

Trip stops in what she feels like is the center of the room, but she can't be sure. White dots are crawling around her eyes like spiders, dancing up the walls and disorienting her. But in the distance, she can see the throne she had just fought tooth and nail for. The red cape and sword were still resting against it like they had been waiting to see the outcome of the fight as well.

"Haron, take the baby," Haylie speaks behind her, "now, take her. I have to check Trip."

The commander sighs, slowly turning around to face her voice, "Haylie," she says with a quiet and defeated voice, "I'm fine, really."

"You are not fine!" Her light and chilly hands plant themselves on Trip's warm cheeks, "you are seriously concussed and losing blood!"

Trip rolls her eyes, feeling her body sway at the action but choosing to ignore it, "if it was life threatening," she says, "I would've passed out already. I'll be okay."

Haylie twists her head in her hands, trying to get a good look at Trip's eyes while ignoring her statement, "you might end up okay if we clean and disinfect it now. You never take these things seriously!"

Trip reaches her hands up to grab her small pink wrists, opening her mouth to tell her that she only takes serious wounds seriously. But she notices a new blotch of red staining the pink skin on her wrists. And that leads to her noticing her own hands again. Covered in blood and leaving it smeared on whoever she touched.

She swallows, dropping her hands immediately as to not taint her sister anymore.

"I'm fine," she presses and steals a dizzy glance over her shoulder.

Haron was in front of the door, Ella looking like she was the size of a fruit in his arms. He's looking at Trip with something she couldn't decipher. Not with her eyes not focusing on him correctly. But she wasn't afraid to ask him later what he thought of her actions.

It was who stood beside him, staring at her with an unreadable expression, that made her look away immediately. She didn't need to see Keith be visibly disgusted with her. She didn't need that on top of the ripple of other problems. It would hurt too bad, despite her not knowing why it would hurt in the first place.

She tilts her head back, pulling away from Haylie's grip, and takes in as deep a breath as she can get, but it still wasn't enough to fill her lungs. Her heels turn, body swaying but carrying her in the desired direction anyway. The throne, the nearest seat for her to collapse into.