Playing Along

Happy New Year everyone! Hopefully in 2019 I learn to update consistently 😅

You sigh walking into the cafeteria. Monday. Everyone's favorite day of the week *note the sarcasm*.

"Y/n"

You hear a familiar voice call out to you, and smile seeing it was your friend Jacob waving you over to his table. You figured he wanted to talk or something, because you didn't sit with him at lunch. The period would be ending soon anyways, you had just come in late from a teacher. You wave back to him as you walk over.

"Hey Jacob, what's-"

He was already standing when you got over there, but you weren't prepared for him to grab your face and press his lips against yours. Naturally you kissed back, I mean who wouldn't. Have you seen him? He smiles warmly and pulls away.

"I love you"

Your brain could have exploded right then and there. Did you hear that correctly or was it just your imagination.

"I-I love you too"

You answered shakily although you meant it. He's been your crush since before you met, but never did you think he would return your feelings. His friends start making a big deal about it as the bell for the last period rings. Jacob throws his arm around your shoulder and leads you away from the cafeteria and into the growing mob of kids on their way to the last class of the day. You couldn't keep the blush off your face until he started talking and your attention was turned back to him.

"Hey, thanks for playing along back there"

*pause for dramatic effect*

You felt the world around you halt, and your breath catch in your throat as you managed to nod a response. A stinging arose behind your eyelids and you couldn't wait to get to class and away from him as you realized what was happening.

"I was kind of in a situation y'know..."

~Flashback 2 Weeks Ago~

It was the last Friday of winter break, and Jacob was hanging out with some friends. They were on the topic of girls, so he hadn't said much.

"You've been pretty quiet over there Jacob, got your eye on anyone"

"Well-"

Jacob goes to answer but Joey cuts him off.

"Oh please, Jacobs got no game"

That annoyed him. Out of everyone there, he disliked Joey the most, and may not have been thinking rationally about what came out of his mouth next.

"I have more than you, besides I already have a girlfriend"

Some seem taken aback while others laugh at Joey for getting roasted.

"Where? We've never met her"

Blake, the realist, chimes in

"She's away for break, you can meet her when school starts back"

Satisfied with his answer, Jacob completely disregards the elaborate plan he was going to have to come up with to make that all true.

~Back to the present~

"So yeah, thanks for saving my butt"

"Anytime"

You managed to mutter as you walk into your class and rush to sit next to your best friend. Even though it seemed as if you were acting, you were still embarrassed that you believed he could like you. You knew you should have tried harder to stop being so close to him.