Twelve

Twelve

"Dastan no!" I yell as he attempts to drag me across the aisle. " No, I am not going up there!"

He rolls his eyes and continues pulling me.

The guy on the stage laughs, "Come one, it's not like we're going toco mpletely humiliate you." He says.

Something in his tone doesn't make me so sure.

"Now you sit here," He says giving me a chair in front of everyone else and Dastan a chair beside me. "Now play along,"

I gulp.

I've never been very good at, you know, "winging it".

The music starts and immediately I know what song it is. I look to Dastan and he looks as puzzled as I do and his cheeks redden to a shade that I can only guess is one mirroring my own.

"There you see her, Sitting there across the way," They sing.

I laugh nervously.

I'm not sure if they've realized this or not, but

1. I'm not a mermaid

2. I'm not under a spell and

3. If they want Prince "Eric" over there to "Kiss the Girl" they're in for a big disappointment.

I'm not going to be kissed.

"She don't got a lot to say," They continue.

Oh yes I do, and if I weren't so dignified I would tell it to them right here and now. What do they expect us to do?

"Yes, you want her

Look at her, you know you do

It's possible she wants you, too

There is one way to ask her

It don't take a word

Not a single word

Go on and kiss the girl "

Dastan and I exchange queer glances with unsaid sayings of "Look what you got us into," and an embarrassed "I can't believe this is happening". Our only outward appearance must be a mixture between nervous smiles and blushed cheeks.

When the singers realize that we're not doing anything, one of them leans over and whispers something in Dastan's ear. First confusion, then a mark of a mischievous grin crosses his face before he can wipe it off so that I don't see.

I send a questioning glance and he shrugs. But the shadow of a wicked grin remains.

By the last chorus of the song I suppose the audience is pretty bored with Dastan and I's performance, but I could have told them that in the beginning.

The last lyrics of the song are sung,

"Do what the music say

You wanna kiss the girl"

"Kiss her!" The audience cheers.

"Go on and kiss the girl"

The next few moments pass so quickly I'm not sure if they really happen. The music fades and just when I stand to walk off, Dastan takes my hand and whips me back to face him. He wraps the other softly around my cheek and pulls me in for a kiss.

The crowd goes wild.

When I open my eyes I look into his. He smiles, but I don't smile moment is so much different than before at the bench. That moment was completely natural and this one is so forced. Still, I remind myself that he didn't have to kiss me. Somehow knowing that doesn't make me feel any better. I become dizzy.