Autumn

Get Along- Kenny Chesney

God Gave Me You- Blake Shelton

Always Remember Us This Way- Lady Gaga

I thought that Qrow and Tripp were cute when they managed to get along. I remember last week when they were depressed over each other. Now, they were sitting side-by-side on the smaller couch in the living room, Qrow on his phone with his back leaned up against Tripp as he spaced out to the new police show on Live TV. The new puppy, Nipper, lie between their thighs as they both slowly stroked it along his back and head.

"Hollister!" I hear Jerzei scream from the downstairs hallway. Qrow jumped, scooting across the couch to prevent suspicion. We all look up to face her, Tripp's phone in her hand and her face a series of complex, mixed emotions that was nearly impossible to read. My heart skipped a beat as I warily glanced at the two men. I feared for Tripp's life. Whatever he did, it seriously pissed her off.

"Were you seriously up texting Qrow last night claiming you were not feeling well after I asked to go on a make-up date?" She asks lip raised as her low, blonde ponytail falls over her shoulder. He nods. "What? I can't text my friend when I'm having a migraine?"

"Friend?" Jerzei echoes, putting her hand on her hip and cocking her head sideways. "Maybe I should read some of these texts," She says, unlocking the phone. "Or is it better to just let Autumn read everything I found?"

"Neither," Tripp says sternly, leaning forward away from the cushions. Nipper groggily sat up, growling as he slid off the couch and into his kennel.

"Why do you even think you have the right to go through my phone in the first place?" He snaps. "It's not yours, so don't touch it."

"I feel I have the right to snoop if I think you're hiding shit, and you definitely are," Jerzei says defensively. "Like, how long has this 'thing' been going on between you two?" She asks. "Because right here I can scroll back until almost three weeks ago and still see things that sicken me."

"It started after Liz died," Tripp admits. Jerzei's eyes widened.

"You have been lying to me since the camping trip?" She asks in a loud tone, voice breaking.

"You weren't meant to find out this way," He starts, lowering his chin towards his chest.

"Doesn't seem like I was supposed to find out at all, now was I?" Jerzei interrupts, glaring at him. Tripp steps back into the line of fire.

"Hey, nothing serious has ever even happened-"

"So you're trying to tell me you two haven't slept together?" She asks, pointing to both of them. Tripp takes in a breath as Qrow sinks back into the couch to try and avoid accusations.

"If I didn't love you, I would tell you. If I did something considered cheating, I would also tell you," Tripp tells Jerzei softly. 

"Then why haven't you told me about this yet?" She asks loudly, glaring at Qrow. I bit, my lip nervously, wishing I could just turn invisible. Why did she have to expose them right here? In front of me?

"I promise nothing has happened," Qrow blurts. Tripp turns to him, eyebrows furrowed. "But we did kiss. Once. And that was all."

Jerzei holds her composure, her breath caught in her nose. Tears well in her eyes.

"So the truth finally comes out," She whispers, shaking her head in disbelief. "Betrayed by my own brother."

Qrow tried to backpedal. "Jerz, it was just a kiss-"

"You know, I hope you're happier now," Jerzei snaps at Tripp, twisting the silver diamond Promise ring he had gifted to her for her birthday off her pinkie finger and throwing it at him. He flinched, catching the small piece of delicate jewelry in his hand. She marches to the door, ripping her coat off the hanging hooks.

"For the record," She adds, snatching her keys off the clip by the front door. "I almost thought we would work out." She whispers, her voice monotone. She opens the heavy wooden door, turning back around to us one last time. Her heterochromic eyes locked onto Tripp's, the stare held for a little longer than necessary.

"Almost," she repeats, a single tear falling down her cheek.