Chapter 34: Face of Darkness

Outside of Volmiir castle, stands a wooden carriage girded with metal accents and pulled by a pair of black horses twice the size of those in my old world. Their manes are brilliantly cared for and even appear to shine in the bright, afternoon sun. Atop the carriage, seated in the riders seat, is a black haired, red eyed man sitting with his back straight and his defined features on full display.

[Kai] "I take it this carriage belongs to Lord Dreyus?"

My voice appears to reach the driver's ears but he refuses to budge. Perhaps he needs to be prompted.

[Kai] "<Laugh>"

I smirk as I whisper the words. For a moment, it would appear as though it failed, however soon enough, his façade begins to crumble and his mouth curves into a wobbly smile. Eventually the man is drawn into a fit of unending laughter, falling from his position atop the carriage. I kneel down to quietly speak with the spasming figure who tries desperately to stand but fails miserably.

[Kai] "How rude of you. I didn't know Lord Dreyus' men were so disrespectful."

I can see the anger in his eyes but it truly loses any credibility when the rest of him is laughing uncontrollably. I lean in closer, only a few centimetres separating my mouth and his ear.

[Kai] "Did you know? You can actually die from laughing too much. Your body fails to take in enough air and your lungs continue to contract. Eventually, your body will begin to shut down from lack of oxygen and even your heart and brain will fail you."

After whispering these sweet words into his ear, the look of anger in his eyes appears to have been replaced with one of astonished fear. Likely at the fact that I'm threatening him with torture and death by laughter. The idea itself is somewhat idiotic but I'll take my enjoyment where I can get it. It's not like I could carve him up out here anyway.

[Kai] "So. Let's try this again. How many people did Dreyus bring with him?"
[Man] "F-F-F-F-"
[Kai] "F-f-f-fucking speak."
[Man] "Four!"

Surprising. I had expected only Dreyus and Juren but to think he went ahead and brought a few extra friends. That could throw off the plan a bit. If they're hunters like those two then I might need help taking care of them. Seyird? No. I can't ask him for help. He would hold it over me for the rest of his life. Valentina? She would be more likely to charge in head first than anything. I can't rely on Verren since he's got his own part. I suppose I'm doing this on my own. Standing up and straightening my coat, I leave the coach driver to his fit as I make my way towards the castle entrance. The people who know who I am bow in respect, letting me pass without worry.

Now then, if the party's in the main hall, that would mean most other areas are currently unguarded, including the quarters of Dreyus and Juren. I make my way through the labyrinthian hallways, ignoring the smell of sweets wafting through the air, permeating my enhanced sense of smell. Why must I be tormented by such an aroma when such important matters make it impossible to partake? Perhaps I'm cursed. I wouldn't put it past that creature to make my life as uncomfortable as possible on top of forcing me to hold the lives of those I care about atop my shoulders, like a puppet with a hand shoved firmly up its rear. Shaking the thoughts from my head, I instead decide to focus on the hard clacking sound of my boots on the hard stone floor. Thanks to this slight distraction, I manage to arrive at Juren's quarters much faster than I had expected.

[Kai] "<Search>"

My senses are suddenly flooded with a remarkably clear image of Juren's room. Though I say clear, in reality it's more like seeing through glass on a cold morning rather than completely visible. Disregarding the luggage that decorated the room for now, it doesn't appear as if anyone is inside.