Chapter 23: Money Bags

- 3rd Pov -

In another castle, smaller than Verren's, though gilded with more gold, valuable minerals and gemstones than possibly even the Royal palace in the capital, Lord Dreyfus sits on his gaudy throne with his silver hair neatly tied back in a ponytail that reaches down to the middle of his back, a black coat with gold trimmings listlessly flowing behind and beneath him as he sits upon his throne. He gently swirls the red substance in his glass before taking a sip, his golden eyes gleaming with malice and superiority.

As the tall Royal is about to taste of his drink once more, the gilded doors at the end of the large throne room open to reveal a man with crimson red eyes and raven black hair. His clothing, displaced, showing the current situation was quite serious if the usually tidy vampire was in such a state.

[Dreyfus] "What is it, Juren?"

The Vampire standing at attention bows in respect before taking in a deep breath and finally speaking.

[Juren] "My Lord, it appears that Seyird returned to Volmiir Castle."

The lord's attention now falls directly upon his only thrall as a piercing gaze appears on his face.

[Dreyfus] "Did he gain anything from his visit to Solben?"
[Juren] "No, my lord. However...it would seem they know of the spy in their midst."
[Dreyfus] "and why do you say that?"
[Juren] "The last report received from the spy. Apparently, Seyird has been seen around the Castle suspiciously more than usual. He does not show that he is searching, and merely tells others he is 'Making sure everything is up to standards' when he is asked. Our spy wishes to return as soon as possible, for fear of their own life."
[Dreyfus] "That would only raise suspicions. No...we need to get them out of there, however we need to do it in a way that doesn't bring attention to me."

A glint of mischief shows in the servants' eyes as he raises his head to look at his lord.

[Juren] "If I may, my lord, why not have him killed?"
[Dreyfus] "What?"
[Juren] "Allow me to explain. Have one of your consorts, preferably from a lesser species, contact him. Then, have some of the human captives kill them both. Disguised as bandits that crossed the border and with that family's history with humans, they would never believe that a Royal such as yourself would be involved."
[Dreyfus] "Hmm..."

The Royal Vampire strokes his chin in thought, pondering the plan presented to him.

[Dreyfus] "Verren might be fooled but that servant of his, Seyird, is quite the intelligent one. I doubt you could fool him like that."

A conniving yet unnoticed smile appears on the servants' face before quickly returning to the subservient expression of a trained servant.

[Juren] "So we send a hunter to commit a few murders, make it look like the spy is getting desperate."
[Dreyfus] "And when he's caught?"
[Juren] "He will be supplied with a small amount of holy water to drink in such a situation."
[Dreyfus] "...No lose ends."

Juren bows politely before attempting to leave the room.

[Dreyfus] "And Juren, I'd say we need to move up the timeframe for the wedding."
[Juren] "Of course, My lord."

While Dreyfus goes back to swirling the red liquid in his glass, Juren leaves the room, closing the door behind him before letting his smile fade, being replaced by a look of disapproval and disgust.