Chapter 33: Hunted

I don't know if it's been a few minutes or a few hours as both Lucile and I have yet to move. The sound of quiet breathing reaches my ears and, looking down, I can see that Lucile has fallen asleep in my arms. This is the life I've wanted for so long. A home with family and friends I can put my faith in. A body that won't give out just because I missed one of my prescriptions or decided to walk around longer than I was capable of. Someone I can hold in my arms, knowing that they will never betray me, who sees me as something more than a useless waste of oxygen.

[Kai] "Lucile. I promise, I'll protect you."

The sleeping girl shifts her body around, placing herself in a much more comfortable position that consists of her curling up into a ball and resting her head on my chest.

[???] "That's quite the promise. Make sure to keep it, won't you?"

A cold shiver runs down my spine when I hear the familiar voice of Lucile's father, the former Demon King, Verren. Slowly looking up at the man, I can see a faint aura around him.

[Verren] "I've received word that Dreyus will arrive in a few hours. It's time to begin."

About time. Though he's a little earlier than expected. He must have rushed here in an attempt to look good. I don't think he needs to worry about that though, he would look rather pleasant with his head on a pike after all and that's a difficult look to pull off for anyone. Dismissing the beautiful image from my mind, I gently pick up Lucile in my arms and carry her towards the exit.

[Kai] "I'll get her to bed. Do you mind if I meet you in the ballroom?"
[Verren] "No. slight change to the plan. I need you out of the castle when they arrive."
[Kai] "What?"

I stood there, dumbfounded, at the demand coming from Verren. Leave? How could he possibly expect me to leave after everything he's told me, after everything I've promised.

[Kai] "Can you explain?"

There's an uncomfortable silence that fills the air around us. The only motion being that of the rising and lowering stomach and chest of the girl in my arms as she remains blissfully unaware of the situation happening whilst she sleeps.

[Verren] "We've recently uncovered some...dangerous information. As we can no longer be sure of what we're facing, I felt it would be best for you to make your appearance at a later point. Once more details have been uncovered."

This isn't what I was expecting, I'll give him that. In my mind, I thought he was betraying both myself and his daughter. Perhaps I've grown paranoid since dying once. My gaze shifts from the powerful figure before me as my mind attempts to find the correct path through this mess.

[Kai] "What information did you come across, exactly?"
[Verren] "You will be brought up to speed by one of the hunters waiting for you."
[Kai] "You can't just tell me now?"
[Verren] "No."

His suddenly stern voice startles me for a moment, prompting me to take a step back out of pure instinct. Letting out a heavy sigh, he continues speaking.

[Verren] "Until this situation has been dealt with, we must assume no place is safe from prying eyes and ears."
[Kai] "Fine. I'll get Lucile to bed and head out immediately."

The towering father nods in agreement. Making my way to the door, a manage to hear a quiet, solemn "thank you" that seems to betray his currently cold visage. He's stressed, anxious, angry and a whole plethora of other emotions a leader should never carry into battle. A father, however, in this situation, is guaranteed to have at least a few fleeting moments of despair when their daughter is being forced into an unwanted marriage.

[Kai] "No problem."

With that said, I leave the room and use my foot to lightly slam the door behind me. I figure he should have some time alone with his thoughts and a few barrels of alcoholic blood. Whether he takes a drink is up to him but from what I can see, he could certainly use one, or a dozen.