Chapter 12: Knowledge and Preparation

In the end, the rest of the night went without a hitch. The inebriated vampires enjoyed themselves with loud conversations and laughter while a few went off in pairs to other rooms. A raven haired woman, the one who tested the armour potion who Introduced herself to me as Valentina asked me if I was willing to spar with her, apparently wanting to know how powerful I was to have gained Verrens attention. I told her that I still had a few things to sort out but that I would find her after it was all done. The business that I was talking about, was my move from the cellar to my new room, right next to the library. The room that used to belong to Lors. It's a large room and all of Lors' belongings have been cleared out with the walls and floor being refurbished with a nice flat stone surface, a large queen size bed at the back with some storage and a wooden desk at the front that looked like a receptionist would sit there. Overall it's still a little bare but it is a massive improvement on my previous room. After looking around my room in the morning and chuckling at the thought of a bunch of vampires with hangovers, I left my room and walked straight towards and into the library.

[???] "Uuuu~... good morning sir..."

I didn't have to imagine it anymore. A young looking vampire with disheveled black hair, glasses hanging half off his face and clothing that looks like he barely slept gave me a half hearted hello as I entered the room.

[Kai] "morning. Has Lord Verren confirmed that I may come and go at any time?"
[Man] "y-yea..."
[Kai] "alright, thank you then. I'll most likely be reading if someone comes looking for me."
[Man] "uuuu~"

While lightly chuckling at the mans misfortune, I sauntered further into the large library filled to the brim with books. After giving it some thought, I grabbed a few books that looked like they would be of help and others that just seemed interesting, most of which were history but there were a few others.

The first is a book giving a brief history of the continent as a whole. The parts I payed attention to explain the existence of seven counties on the central continent. Gehenna the Demon country home to creatures such as vampires, werewolves, Oni, ogres and various other "demons". There's also Elsyria the human country, famous for its large armies, steadily advancing technologies and, the thing that caught my attention the most, summoned heroes. Faranhur the titan country is where gigantic, indestructible creatures made their resting place where, according to this book, they've been sleeping for over 10,000 years. Dorivia the beast country is another self explanatory country. The Beastkin don't live in cities but rather prefer small villages, each with a chief who in turn must listen to the beast king whom apparently exceeds the strength of over half a human army by himself. The forests of Oleviir are home to the Fae which consist of the elves I've seen, small, trickster fairy creatures called pixies, dryads and other forest creatures that prefer nature to anything else. The elves, or as this book calls them forest folk or fae, prefer living in small clans not unlike the beastkin. On a large island simply called the nest, off the eastern coast, the opposite side of the country compared to Gehenna, live the Dragons. These creatures are apparently the only ones that could fight ten on one against a titan all those years ago. I think I will pass on travelling to the nest or Faranhur any time soon.

As I'm about to move onto the next book, a familiar face appears at the entrance, smiling at the regretful librarian before looking my way and smiling even brighter.

[Lucile] "Kai!"
[Kai] "hello Lucile."

She looked at the stack of books I had on the table as realisation dawned on her.

[Lucile] "oh! I'm terribly sorry, am I intruding?"
[Kai] "are you here to read?"
[Lucile] "yes?"
[Kai] "then I don't see a problem."