Chapter 31: Mother

It's already been three days since I returned to Volmiir and most of my time has been spent either training with Valentina or studying in the library with Lucile. If I had to say whether I've increased more in strength or knowledge, I would have to say knowledge. Why? Because Lucile is a much better teacher than Valentina. While Valentina has had me "learn by doing" as she calls it, Lucile has had a gentle, guiding hand, although sometimes I think she's treating me as though I'm a child, it's fine. I managed to gain some valuable information.

The week has gone by in a blur but I was able to retain all of the information, thanks to my increased mental capabilities after training my ability in this world. The main, most important points would be that I'm confident that I could determine the differences between over a hundred kinds of medical and poisonous plants and herbs. Lord Dreyus, the Royal vying for Lucile's hand, inherited his land from his mother and father after they died in the war against humanity all those years ago. This would give him the motive to get revenge on Verren. That is, if he even cared about them. From what I hear, although his parent were modest and kind, he grew up to be pompous and arrogant, seemingly without cause.

That is what the books in the library say. I have another source of information. I gained a lot from my little adventure with the dark guild and thanks to that, I know that the reason for Dreyus becoming such an arse is because his servant, Juren, has been whispering in his ear. Even after looking through the information from the dark guild however, I still have no clue where Juren came from, which is definitely suspicious. Someone strong enough to become a Royal's right hand man should definitely leave a trail, so why has even the dark guild failed to find any meaningful information about him? I suppose I'll have to leave that for later.

The last thing I learned that's worth mentioning is about Elsyria, the human county, and their "heroes". Whenever a war begins, a group of four people always stand on the front lines. Reading some of the names, like Tanaka, Antonio, Marco, Nobunaga, it's obvious that the heroes aren't from this world and they've stopped making an effort to hide the fact. The summoning ritual however, appears to be a closely guarded secret. I wonder if it's similar to how I was summoned, though I barely remember the actual process. From the books we've found in here, the heroes are a force of nature, compared to the likes of earthquakes and erupting volcanoes. As Lucile tells me, the heroes from the last war were even capable of going up against Verren, at least, 4v1. I honestly doubt that anyone could go one on one against Verren in his prime.

[Lucile] "Should we continue with the Alchemy books now?"

Lucile's question distracts me from my thoughts and draws my attention back to her. She stands in front of the table with a stack of books in her arms labelled with various titles, all relating to alchemy. As useful as alchemy might be, even I get exhausted if I've been studying from dawn till noon.

[Kai] "Perhaps we could take a break from studying?"

The silver-haired girl gently places the stack of heavy books on the table, causing it to scream under the weight. Considering I've already used a <Reinforce> spell on the table, the sheer volume of paperwork on the table should be obvious. Lucile seems to pout, upset that we would be ending the study session "so soon" as she says.

[Lucile] "Then, will you be going to spar with Valentina?"

She asks the question with an innocent tone but it still sends a shiver down my spine. To think, even though Lucile is a much gentler teacher, she doesn't know when to stop. The same could be said for Valentina, although since my return from Solben, her lessons have become far more spartan. I need to think of a way out of this.