Chapter 26: Volmiir

- 3rd Pov -

Back at Castle Volmiir, home to the vampires under lord Verren's rule, Seyird continues his investigation into the possibility of a rat in the halls. Walking with a confident stride, any passing vampires make sure to bow when they notice his presence. The prideful servant has walked the halls every day since his return and, much to his chagrin, never once caught wind of the spy. Though, he has certainly found traces of their existence which keeps him searching.

As he searches the halls for wandering eyes, he eventually arrives at the library. Stopping before the door, he appears to reminisce about recent events. The arrival of the boy called Kai, his help in the capture of Lors, the strange ability he possesses, not only the runic language he uses but the odd ability he, a former human that seems to enjoy tormenting those that he deems deserve it, has that let him befriend the lords daughter, the battlemaster and even the lord himself. Because of this ability, he would never let himself be completely taken in by the boy.

He shakes the thoughts from his head as he enters the library, nodding to the tidy librarian whose entire body stiffens with his appearance. Searching for anything conspicuous, the Vampire comes across the familiar, silver haired figure of Lucile, the lords daughter. His eyes shift from the girl to the large pile of books beside her. "Volmiir's History, Alchemy, Dark Magic, Botany, Vampire and human physiology...what could Lady Lucile need with such information?" The loyal servant wonders, intrigued by the shy girl's sudden interest in the variety of subjects.

Lucile turns her head, finally noticing the watchful gaze of her father's servant. Her golden eyes sparkle with a strange determination that offsets her porcelain appearance, surprising Seyird to the point that he almost reveals it.

[Lucile] "S-Seyird. Is there something you need?"

The girl stutters, surprised by the vampire's appearance.

[Seyird] "Not at all. I was simply curious about your reading material."

At his mentioning of the books currently in her possession, the golden eyed girl lowers her head in what appears to be embarrassment.

[Lucile] "W-well, I couldn't read fairytales forever, right? And this..."

She looks back towards the plethora of information.

[Lucile] "I'm not a fighter. I'm not strong like you, Valentina, Father or Kai...Since that is the case, I thought I could help by learning everything I can. Perhaps I might even find something about Kai's current situation."

She speaks relatively quietly, though her determination shines through her eyes once more. Seyird lets a small smile appear on his face for a split second before returning to his stoic self. "Yes...That boy has had quite the effect on this place." The thought crosses his mind as he bows politely to his master's daughter and takes his leave. After searching the castle thoroughly for the rest of the day, the servant makes his way to report to his lord.

Arriving at his lords door, he gives a short knock, receiving the response of "come in" from a distracted sounding, male voice behind the door. Entering, Seyird is greeted by the figure of Verren with a stern look on his face as his gaze fails to shift away from the parchment in his hands.

[Seyird] "I am here to make my report, Milord."

A few moments pass before the silver haired gentleman finally realises his presence, looking up with a surprised gaze.

[Verren] "Oh, Seyird. When did you get here?"

The servant fails to hide his bewilderment from his lord. Verren has never failed to notice his presence, nor has he ever shown such a worry stricken expression, at least, not since that day.