Chapter 9: Brewing

I'm sitting here staring at the Ruby heart as I've taken to calling the little red vampire organ and I just can't quite figure out what to do with it. I guess, the first thing to try would be, its reaction to blood?

I emptied out some of the water that hadn't been changed yet into a bucket and brought it back to my little spot on the floor next to the heart. Pouring out the water into a glass from my previous meal, I turned it into blood before it had reached the glass. I picked up the glass filled with the thick red liquid and poured a small amount out onto the heart. The blood seemingly evaporated as the heart absorbed it.

Interesting. So the heart reacts to being introduced to blood. In that case, what happens when I change the blood introduced on a chemical level? Say, a little more red blood cells. I edited the concoction inside the glass to have about 20% more red blood cells than before which normally, to my knowledge, would be impossible to find normally. When I poured a small amount on the Ruby heart I was shocked at the sudden growth it exhibited.

[Kai] "ah!"

It began to reform a small layer of skin around it like it was trying to regenerate the entire body from scratch but I quickly stopped it when I panicked and smashed the heart. The new blood seemed to have soaked in enough for the heart to regenerate itself which I imagine is usually impossible though it seemed to have used up all that blood as it went dull and didn't try to create more skin. As I continued the testing I found a few different effects ranging from turning it blue, to doubling the size, making it pulsate at an extremely fast rate, making it glow, and finally...

[Kai] "Seyirrrrrd!"

Seyird appeared behind me.

[Seyird] "what is..it? What is that?"

In front of us were thirteen colour coded buckets with the newly created bloods inside each one and the heart was lying on the floor with a monstrous expression on its face. Yes, I said face. It was like a strange, sticky, red goo that screamed at me the moment I created it. It has a monstrous mouth-like gap the noise escaped from and two holes in the shape of eyes above that. It's size was only about a foot long but this was only using a drop of the blood. Imagine what would have happened if I'd poured the whole bucket on it. Luckily I was able to catch it with a <contain> spell but now I'm thinking I should just burn it or something as it looks at Seyird and I hungrily.

[Kai] "I think I created life... and potions. Lots of potions."
[Seyird] "didn't you say I would like the outcome of this!?"
[Kai] "to be fair I still think you would like the other 12 buckets. This one... may have gotten a little out of hand."
[Seyird] "you don't say. *sigh* just kill it."
[Kai] "okay. <burn>"

The flames enveloped the caged creature causing it to scream and writhe in pain before it finally dissipated.

[Verren] "what was that!?"
[Kai] "Gah! W-what the!?"

Verren had appeared out of nowhere, wearing nothing but a cloth rag over his lower body. It looks like he rushed here after washing.

[Verren] "what's with these buckets? Why are they coloured like this?"

Verren went to take a sip from the purple bucket.

[Seyird & Kai] "Nonononono!"

Too late. Verren took a gulp from the purple bucket before turning around to face us and ask what was wrong. Both Seyird and I were relieved when nothing happened, though I was honestly a little disappointed, but just then, Verren began to stretch and grow before stopping right before the ceiling. He was now three times his normal height but what hadn't grown, was his towel. It fell to reveal something I did not want to see. It took every fibre of my being not to burn it to ashes and just look away.

[Seyird] "How long will this last?"
[Kai] "well... two times the size was about five minutes so three times is probably around ten, maybe less."

Seyird looked relieved to hear that his lord would return to normal in no time. Verren on the other hand...

[Verren] "Hahaha! This is grand! How have you done this!?"

I answered while continuing to avert my eyes.

[Kai] "I experimented on Lors Ruby heart, the vampire specific organ... and it turns out that by changing what's in the blood you can add effects. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who can do this though."
[Verren] "fascinating! And these other buckets? They have different effects?"
[Kai] "y-yes, though I would recommend not drinking them yet as they haven't been tested."
[Verren] "hmmm, alright. I've decided!"
[Kai] "decided what?"
[Verren] "you've done enough for us that you deserve a reward! I will make it so that you will be able to freely walk amongst the other vampires and you'll also be given more amenities to make your stay more comfortable. Other than that, you may ask of me one request that I am willing to grant you."

This guy is starting to sound very familiar to a certain heavenly figure...
Hmm, what should I ask? Oh! Got it!

[Kai] "I would like to be allowed entry into the library."
[Verren] "hm? You would not like to leave?"
[Kai] "after what you've seen would you let me?"
[Verren] "haha! Indeed not! Good choice. The library it is! I will inform everyone involved with that area that you are to be allowed access. Now then, I think that once I've returned to normal size that we should have a banquet for the discovery of these new finds!"
[Kai] "then I hope you both enjoy yourselves."
[Verren] "what are you talking about. You're coming too!"
[Kai] "huh!?"
[Verren] "I told you didn't I? You will be able to walk amongst the others. So why not start today!"
[Kai] "a-ah, in that case, I may have something for that."
[Verren] "oh?"
[Kai] "while I was tinkering with the blood I found that I could change the taste, so I did, and those barrels in the corner over there are the results."
[Verren] "really? How intriguing... and what pray tell, do they taste like?"
[Kai] "wine, beer, vodka, you know, different kinds of alcohol..."
[Verren] "and the effect?"
[Kai] "its weak but its there...."

Both Verren and Seyirds faces lit up with absolute glee when they heard all this. At the same time, Verren shrunk back to his normal size but didn't seem to notice as he looked like he was too enthralled in thoughts of drinking blood alcohol. To the sight of these two, I couldn't help but let out a smile. A real one.