Chapter 18: Aurora

It's been two days since the incident with the dark guild and Verren's been adamantly caring for his daughter while Seyird is off collecting information about the one that gave them that request. While that has been going on, I've been trying to figure out exactly what happened to my body. When I release my disguise, my eyes turn the bright, shining gold of a royal the same as Verren and Lucile but my hair remains the same raven black. Is it possible that it's not a full transformation? I mean, it's possible right? Any research I've done into it has said that every single time it's attempted, the result is the same. They become a mindless ghoul bent on tearing everything to shreds, or they die. Honestly I am kind of glad that I managed to escape from that fate.

If I really want to find out what happened, I think I will have to go to Lucile or Verren. If I want to know what I can do, a good start would probably be finding out what they can do.

[Valentina] "how are you doing?"
[Kai] "hm? I'm fine."

Valentina walked into the room without me noticing while I was distracted by my own thoughts. This is yet another reminder that I need to come up with some kind of sensory or detection ability.

[Valentina] "oh? And those eyes?"
[Kai] "Ah!"

Shit! She saw!? I mean... I was going to tell Lucile and Verren anyway, and I don't think it would matter much if Seyird knew but I'd rather this not get out to the rest of the castle. I'd especially prefer that no one from outside the castle found out.

[Valentina] "oh don't worry. I won't tell."
[Kai] "o-oh, thank-"
[Valentina] "on one tiny~ condition."

...this can't be good.

[Valentina] "fight me again!"
[Kai] "..."
[Valentina] "come on~! You know you wanna try out your new power!"

That's- that might not be a bad idea actually. She's a lot stronger than the average vampire, though, nowhere near as strong as Verren but... that guy's just ridiculous. Besides, our deal was that she would teach me after all. This should be a good starting point.

[Kai] "okay. I suppose we should get started on your part of the deal."
[Valentina] "eh?"
[Kai] "you were going to train me remember?"

I sent her a cold, accusing stare that caused her to immediately look away embarrassed.

[Valentina] "o-oh right, there was that, wasn't there.... that's right! So let's get going! Your training starts right now!"
[Kai] "..."

This woman has problems.

[Valentina] "come on then, follow me if you can!"

The moment she said that, Valentina took off out of the room leaving me with no choice but to follow her if I don't want my secret to come out.

Huh? I'm actually keeping up with her? No way, I guess she's holding back her speed to let me keep up but... where are we? We were in the castle moments ago... I think I remember a green blur... was that a forest? That's unsettling.

[Valentina] "Almost there!"

The figure of Valentina suddenly shot upwards as a rocky surface took her place. Following her lead, I managed to leap up to follow her, barely avoiding a head on collision with a boulder. In barely a few seconds after, I seem to be at the top of a mountain, no, I guess this is more like a plateau.

[Valentina] "well, ready to start?"

Valentina forcefully pressed her fist against her other palm as she said that, standing on the other side of the plateau. I readied myself in response. Now then, should I use any words? No, I think I'll stick to trying to figure out my current limits without enhancements.