Chapter 36: Effects

The news got out that Micah and I were dating and it spread fast. By the end of the week, everyone found out.

Usually I like being low-key about a relationship but this one was different. This relationship is something I'm proud of. A relationship that I knew was good for me.

It was seventh period when I needed to go to the bathroom to freshen up. I raised my hand to ask for permission.

"Yes?" Mrs. Brown stopped her lecture to answer.

"Can I go to the bathroom?" I ask.

Ok, I'm not really asking. I'm going regardless whether she says yes or no.

"I don't know, Alexandria. Can you?" She smirked. "Because some things you can't do is listen while I'm teaching."

"There's a lot of things I can do. I can sadly see your terrible posture. I can also see how horrible you're aging." I narrowed my stare. "Don't ever call me Alexandria again." I didn't wait for a response and walked past her to the door.

I'm sure my mother would be getting an email soon from her, but I didn't care. I felt light and free. I feel like I can do anything.

I walked into the bathroom to see Raven fixing her horrible makeup. The more I saw her around, the more I want to punch her square in the face. But I resisted, I knew Micah would give me a lecture if I got into a fight.

She scoff loudly. "Look what the cat dragged in."

"What do you want, Raven?" I asked annoyed. This girl is testing my patience.

She opened her lip gloss and reapplied a new coat on her over lined lips. "Micah and you look like a strong couple, don't you agree?" I fidgeted with my hands as she talked. "Almost like you guys will be together forever. Even through college, you guys are going to the same one, right?"

I totally forgot about that.

She looked at me with a devilish grin, knowing she's gotten inside my head. "Distance can definitely put a strain on a relationship." She walked towards me and stopped right next to me. She leaned over and whispered in my ear. "If you want, I can keep Micah company while you're gone. I can make him forget about you like you weren't ever here." She laughed and brushed past me violently almost knocking me down.

I stood there speechless. She was right. Distance does put a strain on a relationship. I don't know if I'm ready to do long distance.

Micah and I just started dating. Why does it feel like it's about to end?

I left the bathroom with a heavy heart and mind. I don't know if I was ready to leave him just yet. But I guess I didn't have a choice.

**
"Alex, your boyfriend is at the door!" Celeste screamed from the front door.

I groan and roll off my bed. I've spent all day thinking about what we're going to do after high school. I walk down the staircase and saw my mother and him engaged in a conversation.

"Mrs. Promise, you look lovely, like always." He complimented her with a smile.

"Child, call me Margo." She nudged his shoulder. They laughed and laid their eyes on me.

I grabbed Micah's hand and dragged him to the basement. He sat down on the beige couch as I paced in front of him. "What's wrong?" He asked worried. He saw the distress in my eyes.

"Raven was saying-"

"Wait." He stood up from the couch. "Why were you talking to her?"

"It wasn't on purpose." I stopped pacing and sat next to him on the couch. I pulled his arm back to sit down again. "We were talking about college, Micah."

".....oh." He sat next to me and stared out into space.

"What are we going to do when I'm in Atlanta and you're in Los Angeles? What if the distance is too hard? What if-"

He raised his hand in protest. "Don't start with the what if's. We can do it. We have enough time to figure a plan out for-"

"We only have until the fall semester starts." I cut him off. "That's only three months until we're separated."

"I don't want to talk about this. We'll worry about it when the time gets here." He wrapped his arm around my shoulder pulled me closer. He kissed my head for reassurance. "We'll make it. We always do."

And I believe him.

Some way.

Somehow.

We will make it.

Don't forget to vote and comment!