Chapter 10: Date Night

"I'm taking Celeste to school today." Mom calls from downstairs.

"Okay." I mumbled. I finally got up from my bed and took a shower.

I got out of the shower and started to get dressed for school. I threw on a black sweatshirt and decided to wear my light wash shorts.

Today was something I've been dreading since Friday. I didn't want to see him today.

A vibration in my back pocket interrupted my train of thought. I check my phone to see who was calling and it brought a smile to my face. "Yes?"

"Hey, Alex. I'm driving to school today. Do you need a ride?" He asked.

"I don't have to drive my sister to school today, so that would be great."

"We'll be there in ten minutes. If only Harlow would hurry up and get in the car!" Jonathan yelled away from the phone. I could hear people in the background laughing.

"Okay. I'll be here." I hung up. I braided my wet curly hair into two long Dutch braids.

I ran downstairs to get some coffee until I saw a man's grey coat on the table. I guess it was my stepdad's.

I just couldn't help but think, if I would've never retaliated I wouldn't be here. If Brian would've stopped drinking, I wouldn't have had a broken heart.

I heard Jonathan's car beep outside. I collected all my stuff and ran out the door. I locked the door behind me and proceeded to walk towards Jonathan's car.

"What's up?" I sat in the leather passenger's seat.

"Hey, Alex." The group chimed.

"Alex, what happened at the party? I had a drink or two but I wasn't that drunk to-." Jackson asked eagerly before he was elbowed in the stomach. "Noah! That hurt! It was just a question we all wanted to ask."

I could see that Jackson didn't have a filter.

"We don't ask because it's none of our business." Phoenix explained whilst looking out of the window.

"It's fine, Phoenix." I assured Phoenix. "He was kissing Raven and he thought that I cared. Plus, he was really drunk, and I didn't like his attitude." I explain to Jackson and the group. "I didn't think y'all would remember it."

"I only had two drinks. After I got into the car, that fight made me want to have six more drinks." Jackson complained while rubbing his temples. The group started to laugh, and I joined in as well.

I look over to see Jonathan expressionless. Before I could ask what was wrong, he swerved into a parking spot and turned the car off. Everyone flooded out of the car and started to walk to school. I tried catching up to Jonathan, but he was nowhere to be found.

"Hey, girl." Harlow threw her arm around my shoulder as we walked together.

"Hey. How are you holding up?" I asked sounding concerned.

"I'm good. My brother finally came back home sober and apologized to me. He agreed to pay for the window and to get help, but I don't know how long that'll last."

"Well, it's a start." I assured.

"I should be asking you how you're holding up. After that fight, are you sure you can face Micah?" She asked worriedly.

"I don't care about Micah. I'm here for my diploma and then I'm out." I cross my arms.

"You forgot something." She opened the door of our first-period class.

"What?" I said checking my bag. I'm so clumsy and forgetful.

"You're here for me too, duh." She said with a big smile.