Chapter 18: The Makeup

"Alex, someone is at the door for you." My mom called from the kitchen.

"Ugh. I really don't want to get up." I complained as I put my blanket over my head.

"I'll get it." Harlow groan and got up from my bed.

"Thank you!" I called out from my bed. I rolled over and started to take a nap until I was interrupted by yelling. I got up from my blanket taco and slowly walk downstairs to see where all the yelling was coming from.

"You shouldn't be here! You really messed up Jonathan!" Harlow hissed. Her back was facing me as I walk up to the door.

"Alex I-"

I held my hand up for him to stop. I turn to Harlow to see she was still scolding Jonathan. I put my hand on her shoulder. "It's fine. I'm ok."

She looked at me and sighed. "I'll be in the kitchen." She turned to Jonathan and grabbed him by the collar. "You have 5 minutes. Tops."

I shake my head at Harlow's protectiveness. Harlow finally let go of his shirt and joins my mother in the kitchen.

Jonathan and I stood in silence. I stared down at my feet not knowing what to say to him.

"Alex, I made a mistake when I was 16.  I was in love with her and I thought she was the only one that understood me..at the time." Jonathan spoke quietly.

"Are you still in love with her?" I asked finally looking up at him.

He continued to look at his feet. "Not anymore."

I sighed. "Jonathan, I really like you. I don't want to give up on what we have.."

Jonathan shot up and cut me off. "Alex, I like you too. I would never chea-"

"But I don't think we can be in a relationship right now." I look down at my feet again so I wouldn't see the excitement fade from his eyes.

"oh.. Okay. I understand." He sat down on the bench on my front porch to process everything. I closed the front door and walked to the bench to sit with him.

"We can be together but we are going to have to take this slow and......build trust." I said as I stare out to the empty street.

He moved his hand slowly and grabbed my hand. "Whatever it takes to be with you is okay with me."

I put my head on his shoulder and giggled lightly. "You're so cheesy."

"That's what you like about me." He said confidently.

"I don't know about that." I tilt my head to see his reaction to see he was already looking at me.

Our eyes lock as he started to lean in. Soon enough, I was doing the same. As we started to lean in we hear the front door open abruptly.

"Okay Loser, time's up!" Harlow shouted as she joined us on the front porch.

I snap out of the moment with Jonathan and stood with Harlow. "I'll see you tomorrow Jonathan."

"Or she won't because she makes her own decisions." Harlow said with an attitude.

Jonathan and I exchange glances and smiled small. "Right, she makes her own decisions. I'll see you guys later." Jonathan stood to his feet and walked to his car.

Harlow and I walked back into the house and joined my mother in the kitchen. The house was filled with the aroma of chicken alfredo which was always my favorite.

Before I could sit down and eat, my mother grabbed the plate from me. "Alex, don't let that boy break your heart." My mother demanded as she kept my food hostage. "I don't want to see you heartbroken again."

"I know, mama. I know." I said reassuring her. "Now please give me back my food. I'm really hungry." I plead. My mother sighed and gave me back my hot food.

Celeste came down the stairs with a green tutu smiling from ear to ear.

I raise my eyebrow at her happiness. "What got into you?"

"Hayden and I are in love!" She declared as she took a seat next to Harlow. "Harlow, are you in love with anyone?"

Harlow sighed. "Celeste, boys are dumb and disgusting. Love is gross. They can give you cooties too!"

Everyone started to laugh at Harlow being childish.

Where would I be without Harlow?

Don't forget to vote and comment!