Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Promise

Start from the beginning

"Actually, we do, I mean... not really but we met yesterday at the end of the funeral."

Funeral, what an awful word...

It made Mai shiver as she pronounced it.

"Oh, I see. Well, Itachi didn't tell me about that.. But at least introductions are already made." 

The two said nothing.

"But there's someone you don't know yet. Mai, this is Sasuke." Mikoto said, gesturing toward the baby. 

Mai stared at him again. But it only reminded her of Naruto and Akira.

Mikoto, seeming to notice that, spoke up again."

"Come on, let's go. Where would you like to go?" Mikoto said lively, trying to cheer Mai up.

"... I don't know... Wherever you want.."

Mai answered without great conviction. 

She just felt like digging a hole and never get out of it.

***

Mai was on her way to the Hokage's office. She needed to ask him what he would do about Naruto and Akira. 

However once she was there she was told that he wasn't there for now. So she left immediately and tried to go at his hoping to find him there. But there was nobody there either. She had no idea where he could be. Perhaps he had an important meeting to attend. 

She sighed deeply. What was she going to do now? 

She had nowhere to go... 

She closed her eyes and put two of her fingers on the ground to see if she could perceive his chakra around here. 

Yes.

Now at least she was sure he was within the village. 

She stood up swiftly and went for a walk around the village, like she was used to doing every time she needed to clear her mind. 

She went as far as the outskirts of the village. 

But she suddenly stopped walking as a specific building caught her attention.

It was huge. Huge enough to welcome numerous people.

Mai made her way toward it and stared at the doors for a little while before knocking. 

Soon after someone answered.

"Yes?"

It was a large woman.

"Hello, madam, I'm sorry to disturb you." 

"What can I do to help you?" 

"Is it Konoha's orphanage?" 

"Yes, it is. Why?" 

"... I wondered whether new born babies had arrived here recently."

"No, well, if there were some, it's nothing I know about. But why are you asking me that?" The woman asked her seemingly suspicious. or simply annoyed.

"For nothing in particular, it was just out of curiosity. Sorry for taking your time. Thank you." Mai replied as she began to turn around.

"Wait! Who are you? Are you a spy or something like that?"

Mai faced the woman again. 

"No, I'm nothing like that. I'm just a kunoichi from Konoha."

"Are you? Is it the Sandaime who has sent you here?"